Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake noise question - Pads AND rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake noise question - Pads AND rotors???

New to the forum, so I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I have a 2003 Discovery II, and had a squeak noise in the my brakes a couple months ago. I had a friend look at the brakes, and said that the pads were still in decent shape, but he went ahead and put new pads on anyway. After driving back and forth to work a couple times with the new pads, the squeaking noise came back. I went to the land rover dealer, and the guy there says that with the Discovery, you have to replace the pads AND the rotors at the same time, and you can't do just one or the other. So, he wants to put new pads and rotors on (even though the pads are only two months old). I was looking to just get some after market rotors from auto zone and have my friend put them on for me, but do I also need to buy new pads from autozone? Or can I keep the two month old pads on the vehicle and just put the new rotors on?

I have no idea if the rotors on the vehicle now are original or have ever been turned.

Thanks!

Last edited by pmartin; 02-05-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Take a micrometer and check the thickness of the rotors. For a quick tell, see how much of a lip is on there from where the pads don't touch. The rotors are so thin that they can not be serviced if you get much of a gouge in them. If they seem ok, take tha pads off and spray the backs with a good amount of squeal stop. Most quality pads come with anti squeal backing, but it is a good idea to spray more on.

The warnings I have about AZ brake rotors is that you can get one that is warped right out of the box. The pads they sell are pretty dusty, and on a D2, that is not a good thing. It will dirty up your wheel sensors and lead to the 3 amigos. Not to mentions your wheels get pretty gross. I would suggest a kit from Atlantic British, or an aftermarket brand like EBC or DBA. The pricing is respective to listing, as is performance.

After 2 months, your pads are bed in to the rotors you have. If you are changing rotors, change pads.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"After 2 months, your pads are bed in to the rotors you have. If you are changing rotors, change pads." I second that...

From what I have heard the Standard kit for AB for $299 is better than what you will get a AZ but obviously not as nice as the EBC kit for $550. If it was me (and it will be next week) I would go with the standard kit for $299 and have all new pads/rotors all the way around.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I will add that I noticed a tremendous change once my EBC's were broken in. Worth the extra $$ in my opinion...

Oh, and also, my truck had 10 months on the brakes new from Midas when I got it. It was scraping metal in a week... The AZ brand is the same as what they used. It won't last...