Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad suggestions

I think I am in need of brake pads and would like to know what do you people recommend. I would also like to know how many miles do your brake pads usually last. I know that it varies depending on the driver, driving conditions and load, I just want to have a rough idea. The brake pads that I have now are TWR and have lasted 3 years/23,000 miles. 23,000 miles doesn't seem to me like much but maybe it is normal for a Land Rover. I am an easy driver and on my Volvo I usually get 40,000-50,000 miles out of the brake pads.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:55 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Akebono's up front and like them a lot. Ceramic so there isn't much dust, good stopping power.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i just did the same. i have new rotors all around, and full set of F/R Akebono pads. i like them a lot so far. quiet and no dust i got them from Advance Auto

Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Changed al the rotors and slapped on Akebono pads. Been day and night difference ever since.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Winching

Well, I guess it's Akebono so far. Do the rotors have to be changed every time the pads are changed. I changed the rotors the last time the pads were changed.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by buick215
Well, I guess it's Akebono so far. Do the rotors have to be changed every time the pads are changed. I changed the rotors the last time the pads were changed.
I only changed my Rotors due to wanting to start over fresh and the fact the PO said they had never been done, but the Akebono's will not let you down. They are all over amazon and at a pretty good price. Best of luck

Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

When I bought my truck it had OEM pads on it, they lasted about 60k.
I have since put Duralast brake pads on it and I like them, little to no dust.
They were noisy at first but they are quiet now.

As a FedEx driver, brake pads is brake pads, the only real difference is the amount of dust, stopping power is the same.
I have used el'cheapo pads and top of the line super expensive pads, the only difference besides the price is dust (cheaper ones had more) and life, the expensive ones lasted longer than the cheap ones but still not worth the cost.
So middle of the road brake pads from NAPA is what I use and they last about 2 months.

Last edited by Spike555; 04-14-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Spike555
When I bought my truck it had OEM pads on it, they lasted about 60k.
I have since put Duralast brake pads on it and I like them, little to no dust.
They were noisy at first but they are quiet now.
When I bought my truck it also had the OEM pads and they lasted about 50k. The pads I have now have only lasted 23k. That is why I want to make sure I get some good pads this time. I would also like to know if anybody knows what is the minimum acceptable thickness for front and rear rotors. I am hoping that I don't have to change them.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

So middle of the road brake pads from NAPA is what I use and they last about 2 months.
Are you talking about on the FedEx truck? I'd hope you rover pads last WAY longer than that.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a FedEx driver, brake pads is brake pads, the only real difference is the amount of dust, stopping power is the same.
As an amateur racer, I can tell you nothing is farther from the truth. Brakes pads are not just brake pads. I would likely die from stoving my car into the barrier with street pads on it. At the very least I would get rear ended from having to brake so early. I would also go crazy driving around on the street with race pads (they squeal like crazy until they are good and hot - they also don't work particularly well until then). But that's an extreme example.

As for trucks, anyone who is towing in hilly areas should be particularly concerned about the quality of their brake pads and how well they handle heat fade.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad suggestions