Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

I don't see it in the RAVE but minimum acceptable thickness is ussualy stamped right into the rotor.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buick215
Well, I guess it's Akebono so far. Do the rotors have to be changed every time the pads are changed. I changed the rotors the last time the pads were changed.

if your rotors havent been re-surfaced before, and arent too rusty or beat up, you can get them re-surfaced within spec for pretty cheap, usually under 50 bucks fior all 4. you cant resurface them too many times because they will be too thin and warp easily. but NEVER put new pads on old rotors, unless you resurface them within spec, or use new rotors

Old 04-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by jafir
Are you talking about on the FedEx truck? I'd hope you rover pads last WAY longer than that.
Yes that is on the FedEx van.
Brake pads on my Rover last about 5 years.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DarylJ
As an amateur racer, I can tell you nothing is farther from the truth. Brakes pads are not just brake pads. I would likely die from stoving my car into the barrier with street pads on it. At the very least I would get rear ended from having to brake so early. I would also go crazy driving around on the street with race pads (they squeal like crazy until they are good and hot - they also don't work particularly well until then). But that's an extreme example.

As for trucks, anyone who is towing in hilly areas should be particularly concerned about the quality of their brake pads and how well they handle heat fade.
Racing is a totally different story, the average person driving like a normal person does not need to go crazy on brake parts.
And as for towing and hilly area's, you need to drive accordingly.
Fully loaded my van weighs about 15k, I have no problem with brake fade or excessive heat build up, again, you need to be sensible and drive accordingly.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Racing is a totally different story, the average person driving like a normal person does not need to go crazy on brake parts.
That's a far cry from "brake pads is brake pads", especially on a truck capable for towing 6k pounds easily. And that was my point.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DarylJ
That's a far cry from "brake pads is brake pads", especially on a truck capable for towing 6k pounds easily. And that was my point.
I am going to go ahead and disagree with you.
I eat brake pads for lunch, and I can tell you from personal experience that the $25 pads stop just as well as the $82 ones.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rotors

is it true that every time you replace brake pads on 2008 land rover 2 you also have to replace the rotors

Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frank52
is it true that every time you replace brake pads on 2008 land rover 2 you also have to replace the rotors
2008? Do you mean an LR2? You are on the wrong forum...DIIs were made up until '04...but the answer you are looking for depends on your driving habits...good luck.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with Wearever. Of course I am cheap.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow.....just read this post for the first time...from the dead...huh.

In conjunction with DarylJ about racing, having the RIGHT braking system will keep you safe and alive (and most importantly winning races). Racing (motocross and road racing) bikes for half of my life, I have found that the best "feeling" brakes build confidence and out-right out brake.

To agree with Spike, on the street can be negligible. For a stint of over 15 years of commuting, driving various makes of cars, cost of brakes became a bear to my wallet. At the beginning, I would use the best rotors and pads, in fear of losing control. Copper, metallic, etc pads worked right away but would eat rotors and/or warped them easily. When ceramics were introduced, I gave them a try. The first round of pads needed some heat/wear to get them working properly. But after a few thousand miles of use, they came into their own. I put a set on my wife's car, and she put 72k miles on her set, which I though was phenomenal. I've averaged 50k (doubled from the past) due to the traffic I deal with daily. The ceramics of today work well out of the box, providing pretty much everything you need, perfect for daily life.

Again, for daily driving, ceramics, used about 4 different mfg's and they all work well. Use new rotors or resurface the old ones if they are within spec. I know some here will say other wise, but that is just from my experience. Ceramics have saved me some coin for the past decade.

For racing, hands down, Performance Friction Carbon Metallic.....seriously...use nothing else.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad suggestions