Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Reservoir seal kit vs a complete master cylinder kit

Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake Reservoir seal kit vs a complete master cylinder kit

So I've been noticing the little bit of brake fluid leaking where the reservoir meets the master cylinder is increasing and I can see some brake fluid on the driveway if the car sits for a day or 2 and I'm topping it off more often.

From what I gather the remedy is a reservoir seal kit where you replace all the rubber and plastic parts that make up the reservoir. But with 132000 miles on the car I would just as well do an overhaul of the master cylinder except I don't seem to see a separate rebuild kit for a MC at Atlantic British or R. North. Or am I misunderstanding the rebuild kit for the reservoir, does it also have the parts to rebuild the master cylinder?

The reservoir kit averages around $85-90 depending where you shop but a whole new master cylinder with a new reservoir kit is as low as $165 or as high as $289 for OEM. Wondering if life wouldn't be easier if I just buy a whole new MC and attached reservoir?

Last edited by Chrisinhouston; 01-05-2015 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I recently went through this and bought the AB reservoir kit. It comes with the reservoir, and appeared to have all of the seals to rebuild the master cylinder. I chose just to replace the reservoir and reservoir to cylinder seals because I had the same leak as you and didn't feel like pulling the cylinder. I saved all of the extra seals should I ever need to rebuild it.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

" Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect " cut and paste into the search bar at the top of the page.
This is a title of a post I did awhile back.
If nothing else it will show you a couple pics of what to look forward to. I bought the kit and replaced all the parts.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:00 AM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CANAMDiscovery
" Brake Reservoir Rebuild Kit...Photos and what to expect " cut and paste into the search bar at the top of the page.
This is a title of a post I did awhile back.
If nothing else it will show you a couple pics of what to look forward to. I bought the kit and replaced all the parts.
Thanks, I found your post after I did mine, looks like all the parts are there. I figure if I'm going to get brake fluid on my hands I might as well do the whole job. I also plan to swap out my brake hoses at the wheels with the longer stainless steel hoses I got last summer!