Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotors with Lips

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008 | 02:50 PM
|
3rd Gear
Default Brake Rotors with Lips

I have a 2003 Disco that is making a metallic grinding noise at low braking speeds. The deal tells me that all four of the rotors have a lip on them and that is what is causing the sound. The only remidy is to replace the brakes, and that this is a common problem. Is this a possible reason for the sound?

I have 8mm in the front and 5mm in the rear. When do I really need to replace the brake? He tells me most people replace them every 30k, which is about were I'm at with these brakes.

Are thereother brakes that work and last better?

Old 03-28-2008 | 07:32 AM
Mudding
Default RE: Brake Rotors with Lips

You should be able to easily see the lip on the rotor just by looking at it throught the wheel. This will happen to every rotor on every car as the brake pads wear down the rotor over time where the twomake contact. Some may say that a certain brand of rotor may last longer than the next, but in many cases it has more to do with driving style. Yes, cheap rotors will probably not last as long as better more expensive brands, but the most expensive brand won't outlast anyone if you drive like your in a race to get to the next red light.

It sounds like you do need new brakes. You will need to replace both your rotors and pads, even if the pads have plenty of life left in them. They just won't meet up properly with new rotors. You don't have to spend mucho $$ to get a good set of brakes. I purchased the ProLine brand of slotted and drilled rotors from rovers north and the price is unbeatable. I paired them with EBC green pads and so far they have been great. I have raced BMWs in the past and have built a couple of race cars and have always used a drilled rotor. The only time I have ever had an issue with them is when they overheat-again, it's all about your driving style. Nobody driving a Disco should get getting their rotors that hot.

In the end, everyone has a recommendation about their brake setup and what has worked for them. It really all comes down to your style of driving, what you use your car for and what you can afford. Hell, I can afford more, but I really liked the ProLine price for what you get and the EBC pads have a good record for many types of cars.

Cheers,

Chris

Old 03-28-2008 | 07:35 AM
Mudding

I should also say that just because your brakes make a squealing noise doesn't necessarilly mean you need new brakes. You need to look to see if you do havea lip on your rotors. If so, it's time to replace.

Also, a car this heavy will go through brakes more often than a lighter car or SUV. My wife's 4Runner is on the same rotors since 80k miles ago and all I have to do is replace pads.

Chris

Old 03-28-2008 | 08:52 AM
Administrator

How mechanical are you, have you ever replaced brakes before and how many miles on your current rotors?
The lip does not cause grinding, so I would tell you, that you are metal to metal if you are making a grinding sound.
I would quit driving it till you can check them.

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:13 AM
Mudding

I have a "lip" on my rotors, it has been there since I bought the truck. What has also been there since I have bought the truck is a serious squeal at low speeds from the rear. The pads were replaced just before I bought it last year. They are fine, just cheap, I suspect.

Mike, even though the rotor has a lip, does that mean that it is shot? What about just replacing the pads with some better ones. Any suggestions from my local autoparts store? Seems like I have seen the Wagner Thermoquiets suggested...

Thanks,

Brian

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:46 AM
Mudding

Read some other posts. It is not advised to just install new pads on rotors with that type of wear. most likely your brakes are squeaing from poor install that lacks the brake pad insulating gel or goo.

When the lip is created your rotors are no longer the proper thickness and need to be changed. Brakes don't have to be expensive if you are smart and you do the work yourself. Don't mess with important safety stuff like your brakes, you may seriously regret it later.

Chris

Old 03-28-2008 | 11:51 AM
Mudding

I am not trying to becheap. I honestly just don't know the answer to this question: If there is a lip on the rotor, then is the rotor necessarily too thin and need to be replaced? If it does need to be replaced, then I will.

Brian

Old 03-28-2008 | 01:02 PM
Camel Trophy

The only way to tell is to take the wheel off and mic the rotor. Then compare that to the minimum thickness allowed. Not sure what that is on an 03...

Old 03-28-2008 | 02:55 PM
Administrator

Rover rotors are nearly too thin to start with, because of that, they can't be resurfaced.
For whqat it is worth, unless you want to just go out and stimulate the economy, I wouldn't replace them as long as they do not shutter hard when braking hard, and I have been in the business for 30 years.
Make sure you do a brake flush and use some sound deadening material and you will have a good set of brakes with a few bucks left in your pocket so you can go fill up this weekend.

Old 03-28-2008 | 05:34 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't know if you always use landrover parts or if there person before you, but cheap pads (not all) purchased at some of the autoparts chains make a lot of noise.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotors with Lips