Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are the brake rotors serviceable?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 12:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are the brake rotors serviceable?

I'm having a hard time finding the minimum rotor thickness in my CD service manual. Are the rotors serviceable or are they suppose to be changed whenever pads are changed regardless of thickness?

This is the first time I'm dealing with aCD manual, I'm use to paper/book manuals. Maybe I'm just over looking the brake rotor info

Old 04-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Are the brake rotors serviceable?

mmmm, I just had a look thru to, it does not say anywhere min / max thickness of the brake discs, very strange.

The brake discs (rotors) are not supposed to be changed with the pads, you would probably go thru 3 sets of pads atleast on new discs before even considering replacement. Normally discs are replaced only if damaged, warped or below min thickness, but if we cant find that info that dont really help.

Do they have a lip on the edge of them at all ?

I have an idea where to find the min thickness info, if i find it ill post it here

Old 04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, not serviceable. You don't need to change necessarily with each brake pad replacement, but when the rotors are grooved or need resurfacing you need to replace them. I've got 60k on my rotors w/ second set of pads, I plan on replacing the rotors w/ the next brake change.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw this info on AB's site at one point but I can't find it now. I think it's 12mm.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I cannot find Disco info, But I have found Range Rover classic, so basically the same parts. The min thickness on those is Front is 13mm & Rear is 12mm minimum pad thickness is 3mm.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

The min. spec's. by law are stamped on all Rover rotors. No they can not be resurfaced but they can be reused if the do not pulsate on hard stops from warpage.
I have nearly 80,000 miles on my DBA's, they have a lip and are still perfrctly safe.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Rock Crawling

I know I'm new to the Land Rover game, but at least I'm not the only one who couldn't find the minimum spec in the manual

Truth be known, I do plan on replacing my rear rotor and pads.I was able to find a right rear caliper in the salvage yard to replace the busted caliper on my Disco project. And it still had a set of pads in them.I mic out the rotors and they measured .420 and .360 (10.66mm and 9.14mm) with all sorts of groove, pits, valleys and ridges. Definately not straight and true.

I do have two other questions.

Besides the Disco, what over model has LR used solidrotors in the front. For a modern vehicle, I was surprise to see solid rotors in the front, especially on such a heavy vehicle.

Has anyone ever purchase the rotorand pad combo off eBay? If so, hows the quality?
Fronts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...spagenameZWDVW

Rears
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LAND-...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your year was the last of the solid rotors, D2's came out with vented front rotors.
Don't buy the rotors and pads from E-Bay, you won't get much wear or stopping power from them and they are prone to being dusty, causing grief with your ABS.
Go to Atlantic British and buy some of their set up's.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Rock Crawling

I was able to find the rotor specification in my CD manual. In my CD the rear rotor spec is in chapter 51 (rear axle and final drive)page 476. As stated, the minimum rear rotor spec is 12mm. The front rotor spec is in chapter 54 (front axle and final drive)page 500. The front rotor is also 12mm.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling

How about these rotors, are they serviceable?

That'smy RF rotor.I've worked on brakes with vented rotors that were destroyed, but for a solid rotor, this is by far the worst I've seen.I'm surprise the pistons never popout.The next time you see these puppies, it will have all new hardware at each corner.

Quick Reply: Are the brake rotors serviceable?