Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Brake Servo Vacuum Replacement Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:30 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The Brake Servo Vacuum Replacement Situation ::..

Hello Roverers!

I need to replace the Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vaccum on my 2002 Disco S2 SE; I got the new part, but not sure how to get the old out of the Intake Manifold, and the new one in.

I also got a new líne to replace the old one, but again not sure if I just pull out the old one from the booster to remove.

Your help will be of great help, I'm looking forward to get this done today, thanks in advance! ;-]#

The following users liked this post:
James Tippins (08-26-2021)
Old 04-14-2019, 12:56 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

two bolts to remove the brake master cylinder. you will probably also need to undo the fluid lines so be careful to put down rags and wash the area afterwards.
two bolts to remove the brake vacuum booster.
one double-sided clip on the brake pedal.
cut the vacuum line right next to the attachment spigot on the old booster.

installation is the reverse of removal. lining up the clip that goes onto the brake pedal can be fiddly. be careful to correctly seat the o-ring between the booster and the master cylinder.
to attach the vacuum line, go to any auto parts store and they should give you a couple of inches of rubber vacuum hose that will sleeve snugly over the outside of the hard line and slide onto the spigot on your new booster. i've done this on a couple of trucks now, without any issues.

also check the brake light switch that gets opened by the brake pedal once you're all reinstalled. apparently the throw can be adjusted. you can hear the contact clicking when you press the pedal so just adjust it so it opens when the pedal is all the way up.

finally, bleed the brakes at each wheel. i use a cheap vacuum bleeder that works fine and i have never needed to do a power bleed.

Last edited by mollusc; 04-14-2019 at 12:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mollusc:
adolfojbonilla (04-14-2019), James Tippins (08-26-2021)
Old 04-14-2019, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 401 Likes on 278 Posts

do you mean this:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-plenum-74063/

seems like much hassle for such a small part...... I guess you can't just yank to old one out....

Last edited by XRAD; 04-14-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:52 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
two bolts to remove the brake master cylinder. you will probably also need to undo the fluid lines so be careful to put down rags and wash the area afterwards.
two bolts to remove the brake vacuum booster.
one double-sided clip on the brake pedal.
cut the vacuum line right next to the attachment spigot on the old booster.

installation is the reverse of removal. lining up the clip that goes onto the brake pedal can be fiddly. be careful to correctly seat the o-ring between the booster and the master cylinder.
to attach the vacuum line, go to any auto parts store and they should give you a couple of inches of rubber vacuum hose that will sleeve snugly over the outside of the hard line and slide onto the spigot on your new booster. i've done this on a couple of trucks now, without any issues.

also check the brake light switch that gets opened by the brake pedal once you're all reinstalled. apparently the throw can be adjusted. you can hear the contact clicking when you press the pedal so just adjust it so it opens when the pedal is all the way up.

finally, bleed the brakes at each wheel. i use a cheap vacuum bleeder that works fine and i have never needed to do a power bleed.
Thanks MOLLUSC! ...I'll save it for when I need to remove the Master Cylinder or Brake Booster ...but I meant the small "black plastic thingy with the red ring" in the Intake Manifold, from where the line goes out into the Brake Booster, like the one in the pic posted. ;-]#

Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by XRAD
do you mean this:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-plenum-74063/

seems like much hassle for such a small part...... I guess you can't just yank to old one out....
Correct XRAD, this is the piece I need to replace, dunno if yanking it out, or banging it out thru the intake; if the latter, can it be done without taking the Manifold out. Thanks! ;-]#

Old 04-14-2019, 02:50 PM
TReK

ah! sorry, i totally didn't get that that was the part you were talking about.
does it actually do anything other than seal to the vacuum hose?

adolfojbonilla (04-14-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 03:38 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mollusc
ah! sorry, i totally didn't get that that was the part you were talking about.
does it actually do anything other than seal to the vacuum hose?
Actually I may end up following your initial instructions, I'm having vaccum-related issues with my brakes, and since the "thingy" is bad, I'll start by replacing it and work my way to the Master Cylinder and/or Brake Booster if this initial fix does not help

My instinct is more or less like XRAD's, to pull the "thingy" out like a bad tooth, otherwise taking half the engine apart to replace a $35 part does not seem worth the labor. ;-]#

Old 04-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Why do you think the vacuum leak is at that location? What about it is "bad"? If it's missing the red ring you can replace just the red ring.

adolfojbonilla (04-15-2019)
Old 04-14-2019, 05:12 PM
TReK

or you can just seal it with some rtv

Old 04-14-2019, 05:51 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
Why do you think the vacuum leak is at that location? What about it is "bad"? If it's missing the red ring you can replace just the red ring.
I'm not sure it is at that location, but yes, it is missing the red ring, and bought the whole part some days ago. The line was cut at that end, so does not have the part that fits into the "thingy" that holds it in place.

At the moment it is all covered in silicone, which it is supposed to be holding all in place, but not so sure it's doing a good job, so I just thought to fix it once and for all, before moving down the line to check the other parts in play.

Quick Reply: ..:: The Brake Servo Vacuum Replacement Situation ::..