Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The Brake Servo Vacuum Replacement Situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 05:52 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
or you can just seal it with some rtv
I did, but it was a very long time, so not sure that it's holding anymore.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:02 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
Why do you think the vacuum leak is at that location? What about it is "bad"? If it's missing the red ring you can replace just the red ring.
Actually I'll follow your suggestion to just replace the RED THINGY in that part, which is what is broken; I forgot, or didn't realized I could have just bought that RED THINGY, and not the whole THINGY, which cost me $35; but I just played with it and figure out how it comes apart, so I guess I don't need to go thru the hassle of replacing it all.
Now, the line I will replace, since the first inch or so is missing, including the bulged tip that allows the RED THINGY to secure it. So I guess the other end just pops out of the Brake Booster.
Hopefully my vaccum and braking loss issue gets solved with this small fix. ;-]#

Old 04-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 827 Likes on 601 Posts

I broke the red ring years ago and did a field repair with a silicone grommet that I sliced in half. Worked great for a years until I picked up a red ring from a boneyard truck. You also don't need a new line (formally a brake servo vacuum hose, or pipe (SQB103300). There's plenty of length to work with. Just stick it in the fitting and seal it with some RTV or even silicone caulk you'd use in your bathroom or around trim in your house. A few wraps of duct tape would probably work well too. Remember, vacuum is working to pull the line into the intake manifold. There is no pressure pushing it out. Then you can return the $35 part you bought and not be faced with removing the original one, which can be difficult to do. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
I broke the red ring years ago and did a field repair with a silicone grommet that I sliced in half. Worked great for a years until I picked up a red ring from a boneyard truck. You also don't need a new line (formally a brake servo vacuum hose, or pipe (SQB103300). There's plenty of length to work with. Just stick it in the fitting and seal it with some RTV or even silicone caulk you'd use in your bathroom or around trim in your house. A few wraps of duct tape would probably work well too. Remember, vacuum is working to pull the line into the intake manifold. There is no pressure pushing it out. Then you can return the $35 part you bought and not be faced with removing the original one, which can be difficult to do. Good luck.
Thanks MLN01, you've got a good point there, but I'll just use the RED RING from the new part to use it in the old, this will avoid the hassle you mentioned, which I dread to do; returning it will be another hassle. As well as the line, I already have the new one, so it won't hurt to replace, being the one on old and broken already.

I've been driving the truck with a similar hack as you mentioned for a couple years, but since I'm having braking issues, I decided to tackle anything the may play part in it, this seems to be an easy fix that might, or might not help my actual problem.

See pic of my actual hack, or should I say "mess" ...I'm sick of looking at it ;-]# ...see how there seems to be more dust or dirt over the intake, to the right of the mess? this might suggest air must be blowing out or sucked in in that area... who knows. ;-]#

Again, thanks for your input, greatly appreciated.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I just did this myself. Got rid of the red "thingy".

I couldn't stand this any longer.

Was doing maintenance anyway, this is the plenum removed. Prop open the throttle plate.

A hammer, an extension, and a deep well socket that fits inside the fitting snugly to punch it out.

After punching out, it will need to be tapped for a barb fitting. I used a reducing bushing for a 3/8 MPT x 3/8 hose barb.

I didn't need to drill, a 1/2 in NPT tap worked. The threads are shallow, but will hold.

Done! The other hole takes the FV308 PCV valve upgrade.

The following 2 users liked this post by Lisa Bunch:
adolfojbonilla (04-18-2019), JUKE179r (04-16-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 08:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 246 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Hello Roverers!

I need to replace the Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vaccum on my 2002 Disco S2 SE; I got the new part, but not sure how to get the old out of the Intake Manifold, and the new one in.

I also got a new líne to replace the old one, but again not sure if I just pull out the old one from the booster to remove.

Your help will be of great help, I'm looking forward to get this done today, thanks in advance! ;-]#
i hear if you just drive around with the truck off you don't even need the vacuum boost.

just don't try to to brake going down a long road.

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (04-18-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 PM
Drifting
Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Wow. Now we're getting thread crossover. Cool.