Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Fixed! (with pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:06 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes Fixed! (with pics!)

Well, My parts arrived today and I was able to get the brakes fixed in my 2000 Disco. I took pictures of the joy that was the repair, so I thought I'd share. If anyone would be interested in attempting a similar job in the future, I'd be happy to supply step-by-step instructions.

This is the caliper I removed from the passenger side front notice that it has only one piston . . .

You can also see that the rubber boot was pretty badly split.

Oh, HERE'S the other piston . . . I wonder where that damage came from?

This is the remainder of the inside brake pad from the RF. This was not inside the caliper. This wedged between the rotor and caliper bracket. That might explain the damage to the piston.

This is what the rotor looks like after something like this happens. Ick.

And this is what the rotor locating screw looks like after you fail to get out by any conventional means. It actually wasn't that big of a deal . . .

But this is what you get when you're done: a shiny purple rotor and a happy looking caliper. Yay!

Old 11-30-2005, 02:12 AM
Nux
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Brakes Fixed! (with pics!)

Awesome post Benhamtroll. Visuals always make people more comfortable with doing repairs by themselves. Nicely documented [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-30-2005, 02:38 AM
Mudding

Yeh, it doesn't take much for something like this. I think it was a total of 6 bolts to remove everything, less to install the new stuff . . .

Old 12-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Hey, Awesome post. I recently purchased a 2000 DiscoII myself, and Ive been thinking about doing the same job to it. You dont have to give me the step-by-step, but any helpful hints would be awesome and greatly appreciated! Thanks Erik

Old 12-01-2005, 02:53 AM
Mudding

Well, if the caliper bracket is still a factory install, it will be VERY tight. I wailed on the wrench with a mallet to no avail (I don't have a breaker bar), before I finally resorted to using the bottle jack that is stock and jacking up the end of the wrench to break the bolt free. That did the trick.

Also, the locator screw on the rotor is a bitch. It's a PoziDriv screw, which is tough to find. I stripped mine out with a Phillips in an impact driver after one whack of the hammer. I used a half a can of penetrant, a dremel with a cutting wheel, and a big flat-head screw driver to finally get it out. I understand a real PZ head works better. The nice thing is the screw is semi-optional. It wa sexplained to me that they exist primarily to keep the rotor from falling off on the assembly line before the caliper gets attached.

Other than that, it's pretty staright forward. Here are two pages that helped me:

http://www.erovers.com/flrc/tech/brakes.html

http://www.rangerovers.net/maintenance/brakejob4.html

The second one is for a Range Rover, but from the description and the pictures, it is the exact same assembly. Good luck!

Old 12-01-2005, 03:44 PM
psg
4wd High

Nice post. Did you rebuild the calipers and do both sides? I'm wondering if the 'long brake pedal' is still there. I'd read a post somewhere a while ago that they solved the long brake pedal on the '03 models, but they still use the same calipers, so I'm wondering if they changed the seal design for '03.

Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM
Mudding

I actually bought a remandufactured caliper, and only did the one side. I haven't noticed any change in the feel of the brakes with that.