Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes and Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 01:23 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and Head Gasket

I just brought in my 2002 Discovery II (70k) to the dealer with an ABS warning light and I've been presented with about $5000.00 worth of repairs.

According to the dealer, the ABS light is the result of a "historical fault code". I had a local service station replace the front factory pads with Mintex (sp?) padsand rotors purchased on-line from Atlantic British Ltd. They've been on the car for six to eight months with no problems noted. According to the dealer, they believe that because these aren't factory parts, the pads don't "agree" with the ABS system. I recall that I purchased these specific pads at recommendations read here, with no adverse comments noted in these columns. Fault light aside, I believe they pads and rotors are fine. Nevertherless, the dealer recommends I replace all for $550ish, though they did not say that there was anything wrong with them, other than the fault code indication and noting that they were non-factory (i.e. non-Land Rover).

Does this make any sense?

I had noticed a recent minor brake noise detectable from the rear brakes. Previously, these were replaced around 35-40k at the dealer with factory rotors and pads. However, the dealer detected a leak in the "left rear hub" which needs to be replaced ($575). Apparently, the leak has degraded the pad/rotor and they (both) need to be replaced ($550). They had 30-35k on them, so this replacement is certainly within normal wear.

Additionally. a flange on the rear differential is leaking ($175 to replace flange) andrecommeded that Imight as well replace diff. fluid ($138). (I believe I had trans-axle fluid replaced at 50k, but am unsure if this is the same thing).

Now the big ticket item. I asked them to flush the radiator. No overheating issues, but I thought it might be a good idea while the car was being serviced. They pressure tested thesystem prior and discoveredtwoleaks that they indicate will cost appr. $2300-2400 (head gasket) and $275-300 (throttle body water? jacket).

Apparently, after a quick review of the forum,I see the head gasket is an issue with the DiscoveryII's. I've changed a water pump in a 325i, but thisseemslike amuch bigger project.Does $2300+ seemwithin reason? I'veseen $1800 mentioned on this forum a few times in my quick review.

And of course theywant $170 for the diagnostics on the brake ABS fault light.

In all honestly, I was hoping for a bill under $500, but wasn't going to be too surprised at $1000. But I didn't expect these repair costs.

Thanksin advance for any insightsor recommendations.

Dave G
Virginia Beach

Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Brakes and Head Gasket

Dave you have a number of questions, send me your tele number and a good time for me to call you, I believe I can answer most of your questions.
Mike
mikeljacobs@comcast.net