Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Braking power.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking power.

Forgive me if this has been hashed out a 100 times but I couldn't quite find the answer to my question.

I recent purchased a 2004 disco hse with 94k miles. I'm working through the 60k mile service that discomike stickied. Currently I've finished the change of diff and tcase fluids.

Highway speed braking power seems sufficient. However, 20-30mph to zero seems awful. Now I realize I may not have a completely objective opinion as my other vehicle is a 2011 wrx. But it seems to me that I should be able to get the ABS to modulate on dry roads if I push hard enough. This is not even the case. I can push as hard as I possibly can and I hear no tire squeal at all. The peddle doesn't feel at the end of its range. It just feels firm but lacks power.

I went offroad a bit and the abs will kick in if I'm on slick roads. Also, the hill descent control works fine.

So my question is should I be able to get the ABS to modulate on dry roads? Or am I just used to driving a different class of vehicles?

I'm new to the forum so thanks a ton.

Last edited by larfburger; 08-27-2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Actually ask a question.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

"ton" is the key word, about 2 1/2 of them. At 4928 pounds, it is a stout puppy.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

does it get any better if you do the "Disco Two Step" , pumping the brake twice quickly when you come to a stop.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 AM
Overlanding

I'll try that later tonight. I didn't know about it. Thanks.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol first time I heard of it...

They just aren't good at accelerating in and direction but side to side around tight corners at highway speeds

I put 285's on my disco and decided to put EBC upgraded pads/rotors on it, and it still gets the hairs sticking up on my neck sometimes. I tend to just drive it and pretend I'm an 18 wheeler. People behind me hate me, but I'm not worried about getting rearended, theyll just total thier car at 20mph and I'll spraypaint over the scratchs and collect the insurance dough since its there fault

Old 08-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Overlanding

The EBC may well dissipate heat easier. That makes sense. Is no one able to get their disco to fire ABS on a dry road?

Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Three Wheeling

I've had ABS come on in a few "panic" stops. I've just gotten use to giving more room in front.

(I came from a 2005 Audi, first time I drove my Land Rover I thought the brakes were bad. They were... BUT when I changed the rotors and pads they still sucked comparatively)

Old 08-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What brand of brake pads are you running? Might want to consider replacing all 6 rubber brake hoses with new stainless steel lines, do a full 2 quart flush using s good synthetic brake fluid like Castrol Synthetic and if need be put a better set of brake pads on the truck like Akebono ceramic pads.
Pst that, Disco brakes have never been the best on the market, too under sized for the weight of the truck.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Overlanding

I just got the rig about a week ago now. I haven't yet taken the wheels off to look at my pad thickness etc. As it's at 95k miles I'll get the stainless lines and if pad dimensions warrant it I'll replace those as well.

I realize my post might have been a bit premature as I haven't yet figured out the status of rotors and pads. I just wanted to see what the power was supposed to be like and figured ABS kicking on with dry pavement in panic mode was a good metric.

I am also shopping for new tires right now as my disco came with the 03 RR 19" wheels. I was considering going with a 265/70/16 (nitto terragrapller) but if the stopping power is that bad I'm pretty reluctant to go any larger than OEM.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You can also keep it in 3rd instead of D around town, when you come off the gas the engine breaking effect is far more noticible and can help slow you down a good deal and take some load off the breaks. not sure about other discos, but the shift logic on these things must be programmed using vacuum tubes and random number generators.

Quick Reply: Braking power.