Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand new car!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 02:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brand new car!

Well almost. Last night I picked up a 03 disco 2 SE in black. I've been working with the guy on price for a while, he wanted 900, I talked him down to 400. I towed it to my work on my flatbed tow truck late last night and wasn't able to get a pic thanks to a dead battery on my cell phone. But let me tell you, the interior is... Perfect! The exterior is really clean too, no cracks in the bumper, no deep gouges in the rims, paint is in very nice shape. Its originally from Richmond V.A. and I am so stoked! I was going to get it as parts for my 01 disco, but I might end up just replacing the motor intead and keep her as a vacation vehicle. Its currently 3:30 in the morning and I can't sleep I'm so excited. I am going to go to work early this morning and wash & vacuum her out and try to get that "been sitting for 4 years in the woods" funk out of the interior.

Onto the bad, he originally said it had a spun bearing, and last night he mentioned he pulled the oil pan off and saw a loose rod. Who knows what's really going on, but when I pulled it up the bed, a ton of oil came out along with coolant. So I'm going to start looking at replacing the whole motor, just to be on the safe side. I've read horror stories about people dumping thousands and thousands into a bad motor, only to have more problems surface. So instead of being another statistic, I'll start looking for a clean motor to swap in and be done with it. Besides a realllllly good bath and new battery, any ideas on what I should tackle first?

Old 10-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Sitting 4 years under a tree..

Full fluid change. Everything. You are replacing engine so brake fluid, power steering, transmission oil, both diffs, transfercase, and fuel.

New tires.

Check brake operations, possibly stuck calipers, rubber lines for cracking, etc.

Electrical check. (Wires may have been compromised by neighbouring fauna).

Suspension check - possible shocks have been compromised. leaking. Check rubber bushings . they don't like sitting.

That's the minimum.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling

I but a new battery in her and she fired right up with massive rod knock. I looked under the car and there's a piston poking through my oil pan. Hmm, looks like I'll be replacing the motor. When I pull the motor, I'll be servicing the diffs, and all the fluids. The tires are getting replaced next year when I get ready to put her back on the road. I checked over the wires (or as my neighbor says "wars") and they look good. No rats nests or open sores. I'll replace the suspension when I get it back on the road. I cannot believe how flawless the paint is. We're talkin' ama-zing!

I'm going to keep this Disco clean, and try not to modify it as much as my blue one. the interior is nice (and that's why you don't eat in the car) and I'd like to keep it that way. I'm going to start pulling the motor today after work, starting with the headers, and coolant lines.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

Congrats, and enjoy the build

Old 11-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

You'll love the fun of working on the Disco yourself.

Old 11-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 253 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarahcake
(and that's why you don't eat in the car)
nothing worse than ice cream on the head liner.

Old 11-03-2016, 05:56 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jastutte
nothing worse than ice cream on the head liner.
we're just going to give him a little scare.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

and that's why you don't teach people lessons.

Old 11-04-2016, 05:26 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jastutte
and that's why you don't teach people lessons.
The thought of having two discoveries makes me want to have Pop Pop in the attic.

Old 11-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Sarahcake
The thought of having two discoveries makes me want to have Pop Pop in the attic.
the mere fact that you are calling it pop pop means you're not ready for two discoveries.

the first two seasons of that show was some of the best writing on television.