Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Owner...get stoked

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brand New Owner...get stoked

Hello all,

I am a new owner to a beautiful dark gray 2004 disco with 136k miles. I've already had the front drive shaft replaced, drivers side window regulator, oil drain seal (no leaks...for now!), and finally the SVS valve which as we all know did not fully dispense of those pesky 3 Spanish friend in which I already have the problem diagnosed. Just trying to find the time to get to it.

The problem I would like to get some more input in from the rest of the experts deals with the engine and the transmission. When I begin driving and come up to the first stop, the engine will idle around 750rpms then abruptly drop down like it wants to die and will move forward slightly and then reset itself at about 500rpms and then that will be that and it will occasionally do it at other stops after BUT there is not check engine light on, no leaks, no knocking, no known problems. I would love some input on this.

And then there is the transmission, which seems to happen at random. After releasing the brake from a stop and giving it gas, the transmission will not engage for a a second or two until after the rpms drop back down (from maybe 1100rpms, not high at all) and then all is well. In reverse, it will sometimes not lock in fully or when I go to turn the wheel it will slip out and just idle and a very gentle feathering of the gas pedal will re-engage the transmission. Not very smooth going in reverse up my drive way but other than that, smooth shifts, no other slippage, no weird noises or any other known problems. Again, I just want some informed input from you guys.

Thanks in advance for the help and input!

Old 11-14-2015, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Got any photos? I do like the dark gray colour.

Re transmission, have you checked tranny fluid for level and colour? Low level can cause all kinds of weirdness to happen. Thinking about it, the tranny issue, could be driving the engine revs issue, being automatic etc.

That would be my first stop. Cheapest first. Swap tranny oil and filter. Fill to correct level.

Welcome

Old 11-14-2015, 04:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

x2 on Trans fluid,,,,, when I bought my D2 (also a 04), same thing that you discribed about Trans start happening,,, when warmed up, after coming to a stop sign & trying to move again it would feel like it's in neutral & after 2-3 second it would engage again,,, previous owner had told me that he serviced Trans a month ago, but when I checked it was at least 2qt low, I drained & refilled fluid twice (trying to get rid of most of old fluid) with valvoline Maxlife, & it fixed problem right away,, I hope your fix is just as easy,,
(Remember chech fluid while engine running & go trough all gears)

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bom2oo2
x2 on Trans fluid,,,,, when I bought my D2 (also a 04), same thing that you discribed about Trans start happening,,, when warmed up, after coming to a stop sign & trying to move again it would feel like it's in neutral & after 2-3 second it would engage again,,, previous owner had told me that he serviced Trans a month ago, but when I checked it was at least 2qt low, I drained & refilled fluid twice (trying to get rid of most of old fluid) with valvoline Maxlife, & it fixed problem right away,, I hope your fix is just as easy,,
(Remember chech fluid while engine running & go trough all gears)
Thanks for the help! I am in sales and have limited time and right when I was going to check it after dinner tonight, a rain shower moves into my area...great timing! I will work on posting a picture as well. Thought I could do it from my phone. Just added my "Keep calm and Rover on" spare tire cover today

Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Your first problem can be a host of issues. IAC (read idle air control) may be sticking, creating an inability to idle the vehicle quickly. Hence the drops and pick ups. or its could be a small vacuum leak.

I'd go with the IAC though. try cleaning with some carb cleaner or brake clean.

Your second issue, well, every one else thru in their 2 cents, check the fluid level. then get back to us.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Just for clarification's sake, the three amigos are of mexican origin, not Spanish.

....carry on

Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Just for clarification's sake, the three amigos are of mexican origin, not Spanish.

....carry on
Touche.!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto

....carry on
Debatable. How do you say friend in Spanish(from Spain)? What is the origin of a Mexican?

Anyways, you guys are all wrong, it's well known they are French. Le trois Amis! They just changed their nickname so us Americans didn't make jokes about deodorant and white flags.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:49 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Haha....well played.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:46 AM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
Debatable. How do you say friend in Spanish(from Spain)? What is the origin of a Mexican?

Anyways, you guys are all wrong, it's well known they are French. Le trois Amis! They just changed their nickname so us Americans didn't make jokes about deodorant and white flags.
I wonder how the title, The Three Amigos, came about for this issue? Considering that these are British-made vehicles, wouldn't The Three Blokes or some sort be more appropriate?

Quick Reply: Brand New Owner...get stoked