Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing back the factory ultrasonic system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 822 Likes on 599 Posts

I have an extra driver's window you can have for the cost of shipping from 28277.

All '99 DIIs were the same trim level so they all had the volumetric sensors. By '02 there were multiple trim levels, some w/o the volumetric system. I take it you're saying your truck did not have it from the factory.

Why would they break into a 17-year old truck? Did you leave your stash on the seat? Or your pistol?

Last edited by mln01; 03-07-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

I don't know if my truck had it from factory or not. Are the sensors super sensitive? Trying to decide if its worth it to put them in. I think I'm better off doing Lexan or security film.

One downside to the security film is the annoyance of being left with a damaged window after a break-in. Geico replaced my window for only $50 (through Safelite). Now the cost would be $150+50 to replace with security film. I do my best to not have "broken stuff" on my rover, because as you start to let a few things slip... you quickly have a truck with a bunch of annoying issues.

Lexan might be a better long term solution... I think it would be cheaper, too? If I had lexan windows, the only place left to break-into would be the windshield, and I'd say I'd be pretty safe!

I might also look into making some sort of barrier between the front two seats. I don't keep anything in the driver or passenger seat, but the boot is pretty full of gear.

@mln01 I shouldn't have left a duffel bag sitting on top of the center console. I live on the beach in San diego, and there's lots of homeless and thiefs roaming about. Plus I park in an alley. But I have survived two years without a break-in, and I've always kept the rover loaded with gear.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

the sensors pick up some pretty subtle movements. i don't recall having any false alarms when the windows were closed, but if the windows were open and there was any wind then the alarm would go off. pretty sure they even set off the alarm once when i had a sunroof open on a quite windy day. anything loose inside the cabin that moves around in a breeze (fabric, paper, birds, etc) will set it off immediately.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Are the sensors not disabled with the engine running? What about with the car unlocked, engine off?

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-08-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 12:41 PM
TReK

i certainly never had the alarm go off while the engine was running, nor while the truck was unlocked. not sure how that is relevant though.

Old 03-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Pro Wrench

Sorry I was being lazy, all the info is in RAVE. System has to be armed first, via locking car, etc. I don't want the alarm to go off if for example I need to hop out to winch, set up camp with the doors open, etc etc etc

I'll get back to you today on the sensors, I just need to confirm I can enable them via my programmer and double-check the wiring connectors are there. You have both sensors, correct?

Old 03-08-2019, 01:10 PM
TReK

yes, i have both sensors. they're beige in colour.
i was musing over how they might function and whether a system setting would have to be changed in order to add them. at a guess, the simplest way to have them operate would probably be for them to have an internal switch that closes the circuit if they detect motion, so all you would have to do is plug them into the connectors on the wiring loom. the d2 electrical library seems to indicate that they do simply close the circuit to ground. however, we all know that land rover don't ever seem to have been interested in taking the simple approach!
of the other security system components mentioned in the electrical library, i never heard any alarm other than the regular horns (even when my horns died) so i assume that neither the alarm sounder nor the battery backup sounder were fitted as part of the original system on my truck.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:11 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mollusc
yes, i have both sensors. they're beige in colour.
i was musing over how they might function and whether a system setting would have to be changed in order to add them. at a guess, the simplest way to have them operate would probably be for them to have an internal switch that closes the circuit if they detect motion, so all you would have to do is plug them into the connectors on the wiring loom. the d2 electrical library seems to indicate that they do simply close the circuit to ground. however, we all know that land rover don't ever seem to have been interested in taking the simple approach!
of the other security system components mentioned in the electrical library, i never heard any alarm other than the regular horns (even when my horns died) so i assume that neither the alarm sounder nor the battery backup sounder were fitted as part of the original system on my truck.
I can't find the alarm sounder either, nor where it could possibly mount to. It looks like it's supposed to go roughly where the SAI pump is:

Old 03-08-2019, 03:50 PM
Pro Wrench

beginning to think the sounder alarm was not fitted on NAS vehicles, and we don't have the wiring harness either. I did find the bracket though... but wiring plug is missing:

Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 PM
TReK

i pulled the sensors out of my parts truck this evening. also grabbed the trim piece/mount for the rear sensor.
you will have to cut a hole in the panel above the cargo space window on the passenger side and this trim piece goes over/in that hole to neaten it up. it also gives the sensor something to latch onto. unfortunately i had to break off the mounting pegs because i didn't have the time to completely remove the panel but i kept the pegs as long as i could. you should be able to drill some small holes in the panel for them to sit in so they act as locating pins, and then just use some silicone or similar to fasten the trim piece to the panel. i'll try to post a photo of the hole and its location so you have something to guide you.
they'll be in the mail to you tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Bringing back the factory ultrasonic system?