Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing back the factory ultrasonic system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mollusc
i pulled the sensors out of my parts truck this evening. also grabbed the trim piece/mount for the rear sensor.
you will have to cut a hole in the panel above the cargo space window on the passenger side and this trim piece goes over/in that hole to neaten it up. it also gives the sensor something to latch onto. unfortunately i had to break off the mounting pegs because i didn't have the time to completely remove the panel but i kept the pegs as long as i could. you should be able to drill some small holes in the panel for them to sit in so they act as locating pins, and then just use some silicone or similar to fasten the trim piece to the panel. i'll try to post a photo of the hole and its location so you have something to guide you.
they'll be in the mail to you tomorrow.
Thanks mollusc. No worries about the mounting stuff, I gutted all the trim pieces and headliner out of my rover long ago. So I'll have to come up with a way to mount it myself.. which will probably just be some 3M VHB tape

Old 03-12-2019, 12:47 PM
Pro Wrench

I was very close to pulling the trigger on lexan windows, but after some more research the cost is pretty high, and the legality/safety of it is questionable. Normal lexan would be ~$100-160 per window, but normal lexan is going to scratch and yellow from UV damage. They make UV/scratch resistant lexan, but the cost would be 200-300 per window which I can't really justify at this time.

For now, I bought this cheap security film:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRLI2PC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FRLI2PC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mollusc hooked me up with some volumetric sensors, which I'll install today.

Lastly, I'm going to install a security camera and maybe a kill switch.

I think all that is a decent step forward in the security department. Any other ideas welcome

Something else that's been on my mind forever is special vehicle insurance. Would be a shame to total the truck, and lose the thousands I spent on the engine and transfer case rebuild, mods, etc. Don't really know where to start with it, and would be a shame to give up my cheap-*** Geico insurance, haha.

Last edited by Jeff Blake; 03-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Thanks to mollusc, I now have the volumetric sensors working.

There's one quirk though that I can't figure out... the volumetric sensors are only active when the truck is superlocked. I scoured through RAVE, electrical library, owners manual, and the internet, and there is no relation mentioned between the volumetric sensors and the superlock mode. The volumetric sensors SHOULD be active when the car is locked with a single key-press, just the same as the perimeter sensors (doors, bonnet). I multimetered the ultrasonic wiring plugs, and can confirm it only receives a 12v supply once superlock is on.

The only thing I can think of that's weird about my truck is I took out the Central door lock switch... but that shouldn't affect anything...

I'd prefer not to superlock all the time as it makes me nervous about getting back in

Old 03-12-2019, 05:56 PM
TReK
Received 762 Likes on 630 Posts

i know i read that they're not active for 30 seconds after arming the system. are you waiting before you check?

Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mollusc
i know i read that they're not active for 30 seconds after arming the system. are you waiting before you check?
Yeah, it's 15 seconds. During that time the alarm LED flashes rapidly, then blinks every 2 seconds. No dice to wait