Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bringing the hammer down on the sunroof...

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bringing the hammer down on the sunroof...

Our Story today begins a few weeks ago with me getting into the truck for the ride to work. It had rained heavily the night before and I knew I had a leak but stupidly ignored it knowing I'd have to pull the already sagging headliner down to fix/ access the front drain tubes. Well sure enough it bit me in the @$$. My radio is now stuck on country at a reasonable volume. There is no Response when pushing the buttons on the radio or steering control, but oh no that is not where this ends. After work I decided to tackle the problem head on and fix the sunroof drains as well as the saggy headliner. Called 5 fabric shops and none had cloth big enough to re-cover the headliner so black paint it was. Looks very nice now that is painted and touched up. If i could give any advice on that it would be to treat this thing as the shroud of Turin.....ssooo delicate. The plastic pieces break like glass. Any-who, when i got a look at the condition of the tube connection i was appalled. I don't think they come from the factory sneered in gray puddy and held on with prayers. Also while feeling around with my fingers in the upper left and right corners of the sunroof tray are openings....the look like overflow openings..THAT EMPTY INTO THE HEADLINER......WHAT STUPID MORON DESIGNED THAT. Look i know no one wants to open the roof after the rain has cleared and get poured on but I'd take that over all the water damage on the interior and why in the hell would you terminate the tubes below the A pillars in the body WTF. I tapped into the tubes and blew them both clean sealed them up leak tested and all was fine and ready for me to order a new radio....good thing I didn't. I come out today after its rained for the past 9 hours to find my dash has adopted the look of a waterfall. 2 days worth of work to rep-do the headliner and fix those tubes......GGAAAHHH. After my initial blinding rage subsided i thought hey maybes its the seal....nope its good, poured water straight into the tray and I'm still getting the leak so...not the seals. That's it im fixing this hardcore. The headliner is getting pulled im going to run my own drains with new holes new termination points and cover those "overflow" corners. Thoughts negative or positive will be appreciated.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Can you try to snap a couple pictures of the '...overflow openings...'?

With the amount of rain we get here in SW PA, I'm inclined to say that there is no way my sunroof could be draining into my headliner through the overflow openings if the drain tube clog, or it would be perpetually wet. If I'm right in saying that, then it sounds like someone must have tried to fix your drains and maybe didn't put something back correctly.

I'm planning to pull my headliner sometime between now and June to replace the sagging fabric, so if you can post pictures of the openings, I can confirm whether they're different from what I have.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Mudding

I have to do all of my work outside w/o a garage so as soon as it stops raining in MA I can try and tackle this, even with a cell phone camera if I have to. ill try to get close ups of the openings

Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

The drains are only to MAYBE try to alleviate a partially leaky sunroof...
the real problem is that the glass is no longer sealing well... or the seal has shrunk and pulled the glue out from under it.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Mudding

well a new seal certainly couldn't hurt while im at it, thanks

Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Three Wheeling

i also would love photos of this since i just moved to Seattle and found a leak also