Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brittle Cooling System Plastic Hoses...

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brittle Cooling System Plastic Hoses...

In the process of systematically determining a small, regular but not consistent coolant leak I went over the cooling system to see if there was anything obvious that could be causing it - going to get it pressure tested tomorrow when the workshops open up again after the Clipsal 500 weekend here, and none of the parts shops here hire pressure testing stuff....

BUT, to the topic - I did find signs of a leak from the throttle body heater, however on trying to remove the hoses from the throttle body to deal with that the plastic hose snapped... Suffice to say being in Australia the need to stop ice forming in the throttle body really isnt required just at the moment, so its been "looped out" for now while I chase down another gasket. Similarly though on the return line from the radiator to the coolant bottle the same type of plastic hose snapped while trying to refill the system.

Being such a vital part of the trucks life line I'm reluctant to replace the lines with the same stuff and risk being caught out miles from no-where. Do any of you know if there is a good replacement hose for these bits I can get and re-run those lines?

Cheers in advance.

Michael.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Good quality thick walled general purpose under hood temperature rated hose should be fine. Don't want it so thin that it can be easily collapsed by tie downs. Hot coolant is passed thru there all the time, to keep throttle body from icing up in temps below 36F (depends on humidity, wind chill, etc.). When working around the cooling system, be aware that a common "I gotta buy a radiator" problem is caused by trying to get same hoses off the nipple fitting on the rad, which snaps off. Need to cut them off with a razor blade. BTW, the throttle body you mention is also a common leak point, has a gasket below. See http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MGM000010KG.cfm.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-04-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I agree with the other reply or just by pass the t/body pre-heater, they fail all the time, and let it go. I did that to mine 8 years ago and have never had a problem since.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Drifting

I live in Florida, down far enough where ice is not an issue. I bypassed the throttle body because the hose cracked as well. Eventually I will replace all hoses though.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Drifting

Cheers guys - that was the common sense answer I was thinking myself, but being the novices apprentice I thought I'd put it out there. I'm in Adelaide where it rarely if ever gets below freezing point, so I dont think I'll have an issue there till I want to try and hit the snow middle of the year.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I keep waiting for one of the "down unders" to send in some Pix of a Disco at Ayers Rock.... but we would also like to see Kangaroo Island.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Drifting

The rock is a decent drive from where I am - but not entirely out of the question. K.I. is a whole lot closer and also very likely to be done sometime soonish... so hopefully I can help out with at least one of those for you!!