Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke off the plastic nipple on radiator

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Broke off the plastic nipple on radiator

Anyone have a Land Rover fix for the rather than replacing the radiator? I saw someone awhile ago use some kind of threaded metal piece to re create the nipple thing.

Looking for a band aide fix for this.

Thanks guys

Old 09-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Anyone have a Land Rover fix for the rather than replacing the radiator? I saw someone awhile ago use some kind of threaded metal piece to re create the nipple thing.

Looking for a band aide fix for this.

Thanks guys
Looking at the 'end result' of some of your trucks you ain't having a lot of luck eh. Maybe go get a Sherman tank

Are you able to post a photo of what this nipple thingy is whereabouts on the rad. Id it plastic? and is it under rad pressure? Photo woul be useful.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

It's the coolant recovery nipple on the top of the radiator.

I picked up one of these and I'm going to drill out the broken off piece, tap it and try this guy.

Ya I'm a trial by fire kinda guy

Edit : In all fairness I cut the roof off the pathfinder, built a roll cage and turned it into a beast. It was bound to happen.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:10 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
It's the coolant recovery nipple on the top of the radiator.

I picked up one of these and I'm going to drill out the broken off piece, tap it and try this guy.

Ya I'm a trial by fire kinda guy

Edit : In all fairness I cut the roof off the pathfinder, built a roll cage and turned it into a beast. It was bound to happen.
Looks good. It looks like a BSP tapered thread to me so be careful when screwing into plastic otherwise you may split the plastic rad top. Use a waterproof sealant around threads, Loctite or similar but ensure it's totally dry first and leave for the requisite recommended time to set. Good luck and not too hamfisted when tapping the plastic and screwing the nipple in.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried to do this and got cold feet and ordered a new radiator without testing it. But I think the fix would have worked pretty well.

I'd suggest using a multi-step drill bit to tap the hole in the plastic. I used a regular drill bit and it did not go very gracefully which is why I bailed on it. With a multi-step bit, you could create a great seal with your nipple above. Something like this:

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...d=0CKcCEKYrMAs

Then I'd encase the whole thing in epoxy.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I ended up using a small saw to get most of the nipple off, sanded it down, drilled it out to a 3/8" and tapped it with a 7/16-20"

Wrapped the threads in teflon tap (melting point of 600F-ish ?).

It still has a slight leak at 4,500rpm so once it's all cooled down I'm going to take it apart again and add more tape. If that doesn't work epoxy will.

Normally I would just replace the radiator and I was planning on putting in that all metal one but sadly I opted for putting it up for sale. I'm just adamant on it being "leak free"

Attached Thumbnails Broke off the plastic nipple on radiator-img_20140915_214248_500.jpg