Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Fuel Line Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Broken Fuel Line Adapter

Spent about 20 hours this weekend doing a head gasket swap and coolant leak down check. After getting the heads back on and beginning the re-fitting process, realized I had broken the fuel line adapter that mates into the fuel rail supply. Its a brittle plastic piece that I must've unknowingly cracked apart as I pulled out the lower intake manifold.

Brought the head gasket job to a quick halt, obviously can't risk fixing it myself with glue and a prayer, so I have to find out a way to replace this part. Anyone ever make the same mistake as me? Trying to determine if I need to replace the entire fuel feed hose or if I can just get a new adapter plug. Seems like that metal band sealing the hose around the adapter is not a clamp, so I am doubtful I can just stick a new plug in. Pics below

Attached Thumbnails Broken Fuel Line Adapter-img_1665.jpg   Broken Fuel Line Adapter-img_1667.jpg   Broken Fuel Line Adapter-img_1668.jpg  
Old 08-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Drifting

Seems like the fuel line and the rail are both 5/16" dia. Ordered this new connector, hopefully fits snug.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...135/10842560-P

Ill try for next week some time. Is there any sort of air bleed process I have to do for the fuel injection system when I get everything hooked back up and ready for liftoff?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:46 AM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wiser people might chime in but when I changed my injectors a few weeks back I took the entire rail apart and cleaned it all up and then just put it back together without doing anything special.

Might have taken an extra few turns to crank when I first started it back up but I think once you hook up the battery and turn the key the fuel pump pressurizes the system for you.

I remember thinking it was an easier process than I was counting on. Well at least as far as the fuel rail was concerned...

Old 08-15-2017, 10:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Easiest fix would be to clamp a barb to the old line and add a couple of inches of new line, clamp new line to fuel rail.

If you relocate your coil packs you will have ample room to check on and repair this area in the future. But If you get it snug the first time it should last year's.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Two things I hate about this engine... SAI and the coil pack. Relocation is definitely happening in the future. But I gotta hold off on that for now.

You're probably right about adding an extension. I'll see what I'm working with when I get back to the garage next week.

Old 08-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by PosterNutbag
Two things I hate about this engine... SAI and the coil pack. Relocation is definitely happening in the future. But I gotta hold off on that for now.

You're probably right about adding an extension. I'll see what I'm working with when I get back to the garage next week.
Would definitely move the coils when possible, and rip the SAI out and toss it in the trash.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Would definitely move the coils when possible, and rip the SAI out and toss it in the trash.
Wouldn't that throw off the ECU and blast me with codes? Otherwise, I can't imagine a more satisfying feeling than ripping it out. Wonder what the difference is in efficiency/emissions with SAI.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by PosterNutbag
Wouldn't that throw off the ECU and blast me with codes? Otherwise, I can't imagine a more satisfying feeling than ripping it out. Wonder what the difference is in efficiency/emissions with SAI.

Mine is gone. It throws a 1414 and 1412 code every once in awhile, to alert me that I have in fact removed the Sai, but it takes approximately 2.3 seconds to clear the codes with the scangauge on the dash. Which BTW you should have anyway (or an ultragauge).

There's no difference in efficiency, as far as emissions.... Who gives a f+$#

Geopolitics that's who. Al gore can suck my open headers.
​​​​​
​​​​

Last edited by KingKoopa; 08-18-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Yeah, global warming is a farce.

I mean who could possibly believe that all these toxic emissions that humans have created could have a negative effect on our planet...

Old 08-19-2017, 01:41 PM
TReK
Received 761 Likes on 629 Posts

Personally, I LOVE the added flavour that petrochemicals give to drinking water.

Quick Reply: Broken Fuel Line Adapter