Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Side Turn Marker Clips

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2020 | 03:56 PM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Broken Side Turn Marker Clips

How many of you have this issue with your side turn markers? The clips break and the indicators fall out all the time. Any ideas to get them to stay better without glueing them in or replacing them? Or is it just cheaper and less hassle for another 10 years to replace them with some replacements, possibly non-OEM cheapies? See, I read about a university study that left a car out on the street for a few days, then knocked off a side mirror, then watched society basically take out their frustration on this poor vehicle that they assumed someone didn’t care about until it was completely destroyed. Pretty amazing what people do. I’m glad I don’t live in a city, but this story still sticks with me and I try to make sure nothing like that happens to me The smoky ones look cool, but they’re $45 (not sure if that’s for a pair) and if that would look out of place on a black DII with the rest of the stock amber lights.

$45 oem on Atlantic british - not sure if that’s for a pair (doubtfully)

Old 08-15-2020 | 04:11 PM
Winching

I use hot glue. Keeps them secure and you're still able to pull them off for bulb replacement.

Old 08-15-2020 | 04:15 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Interesting, so just use some hot glue - that won't damage the paint? Not that the paint on mine is any kind of art with the hood and roof clear coat failure

So these do have a serviceable bulb inside that I can replace, rather than getting a new assembly when they die out?

Old 08-15-2020 | 04:29 PM
Rock Crawling

hot glue has very little "stick" once it hardens. I use it when boat building so I can easily separate parts before permanently attaching them.

Old 08-15-2020 | 06:21 PM
Winching

I've never had an issue with paint. It just pops off with a little pressure. The bulb is replaceable.

Old 08-16-2020 | 12:02 PM
Pro Wrench

There are pick n pull junkyards around my area (Pac NW) that have these on the trucks -- they sell them for very cheap (less than 4-5 bucks each). Get replacements on ebay or junkyard would be your best bet.

Don't hot glue these to your truck...

Old 08-16-2020 | 02:02 PM
4wd Low

+1 the 'hot glue' type fix. I fixed the right side that had fallen out (broken clip) using a little bit of clear silicone adhesive. I don't see hot glue (or silicone adhesive) pulling paint off unless maybe you use a high temp / high strength glue stick. There are different types of glue sticks, but generally you find the same type most places. To find high heat you usually have to go out of your way to look for it, at least where I live.

Old 08-16-2020 | 02:09 PM
4wd Low

I can't vouch for all types of silicone adhesive, but this product works extremely well for this type of 'fix':
https://shop.wurth.ca/sealants-o-rin...-mL/892.56024/
Might be hard to get as a consumer though, I used to have access to the product from the business I worked for.
The reason I chose to use this is because its waterproof and it's temperature range is well outside the temperatures the light will be exposed to. I am not sure hot glue possesses the same qualities. I probably applied it about 2 years ago and haven't had to touch it since.

Old 08-16-2020 | 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling

I am always envious of people who can get stuff for their rovers at the local pick and pull. None of the yards around here have anything in the way if European Cars. The biggest yard has a single row of european stuff, some asian, and tons of american pickups and full size cars.

Old 08-17-2020 | 01:07 AM
Camel Trophy

Silicone has held both of mine for 2 years

Quick Reply: Broken Side Turn Marker Clips