Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which budget tire?
Treadwright Crawlers
28.57%
Kenda Klevers
71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Budget tire poll, Kenda Klevers vs Treadwright Crawlers

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Budget tire poll, Kenda Klevers vs Treadwright Crawlers

I am going to be buying a new set of tires for my D2. I'm getting 235/85s and have narrowed it down to Treadwright Crawlers or Kenda Klevers. Here are my thoughts:

- The TreadWrights seem like a better pattern but are heavier. They are also retreads. The retreads don't seem like to much of an issue, however, sometimes people received tires that are out of round or blemishes. Treadwright always makes it right, however, I don't want the downtime so there is that to consider.

- The Kendas are China tires. China made always sucks because I hate passing up on something USA made. They are also cheaper (the shipping of the Treadwrights makes them about $20-30 more, the Kenda's ship free). They also haven't been in the automobile tire game all that long. They do have a history in bicycle and motorcycle tires thought and for the most part have a good reputation. They would be new and are lighter. Less rotational mass on the axles and differentials is less on my mind.

Here are pics of the Kenda Klevers since I did not find any threads about them on the rover forums.

Kendas:

Let me know what you guys think.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I have the kendas on one of my trucks, couldn't be happier at that price point.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Also that is on a heavier work truck and 17s they don't have an offering for 18s
Ls1 (on here) has them on his d2.

The following users liked this post:
ls1morethanyou (11-24-2014)
Old 11-23-2014, 11:33 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm actually leaning towards the Kendas, all in all I just want the one that will preform the best, traction wise and safety. Most of the other things are just things to consider. Some people have nothing but success while others get two blems in a row.

Some of the bad threads are from a few years back so TW may have gotten better over time. Who knows really...

Last edited by My6speedz; 11-24-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:24 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedz
I'm actually leaning towards the Kendas, all in all I just want the one that will preform the best, traction wise and safety. Most of the other things are just things to consider. Some people have nothing but success while others get two blems in a row.

Some of the bad threads are from a few years back so TW may have gotten better over time. Who knows really...
I love my Kendas for sure, though i think i would go 33's instead of 32's if i had a second chance.

i have thrown mud/rock crawling/ fallen trees and they have done amazing and i didnt lower the pressure too much on them.

look for them locally as you might be able to find ebay prices on them installed like i did.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Three Wheeling

The ebay seller I found is actually 40 minutes away, I thought I might email them seeing if they would lower the price since it includes "free shipping" im sure that cost is just built in so I might be able to get the for even less.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:14 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

I'm going to vote on the Kendas just because of treadwright's recent reputation. Their quality has seemed to have gone down considerably as of late because they let all their senior employees who knew what they were doing go (just what I heard, nothing to back it up).

Something else to look at, which is what I am planning to get and seem to get exceptional reviews, are Mud Claw Radial M/Ts. I'm going to get a set of 5 32s for around 750 after mount and balance.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can only comment on the Kendas. Im going into my second winter with them. Hopefully you realize that all mud terrains will be loud. These are fairly loud on highway and ride as expected. Tread wear has been better than expected ( I drive mine everyday) Off road they shine......not that I know any different as these are the first mud tires I have had.

I did have some trouble with wet clay mud.....

Old 11-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

>2k lb truck with cup tires and 500hp is best on that clay

Old 11-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Grumpo
I can only comment on the Kendas. Im going into my second winter with them. Hopefully you realize that all mud terrains will be loud. These are fairly loud on highway and ride as expected. Tread wear has been better than expected ( I drive mine everyday) Off road they shine......not that I know any different as these are the first mud tires I have had.

I did have some trouble with wet clay mud.....
Almost every thread I could find on the KEndas mentioned low noise and long tread life, so your experience seems pretty par for the course .

Quick Reply: Budget tire poll, Kenda Klevers vs Treadwright Crawlers