Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busted radiator follow up - including limp mode tales

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011 | 04:43 AM
|
3rd Gear
Thumbs up Busted radiator follow up - including limp mode tales

You heard the story, radiator busted by a rock, overheating, motor seized... but so far I'm in luck. Put a new radiator in ($360 + $520 labour, I just haven't got the time) and she's purring again like a spoiled cat. The question is if the overheating did some damage and maybe in a few month I'm stuck with a blown head gasket, who knows.
Now, the dealers down under tell me yes, the Disco2 TD5 has a limp mode which is connected to the gearbox and it will stay in 3rd to limp on the next tow truck. However the other trick is that when the motor overheats the ECU shuts down the engine, preventing it from self destruction. So far the theory and in my case it seemed to have worked. But there are plenty of blown TD5s around!!! SOLUTION: Apparently the Range Rover uses a kinda sensor in the coolant tank connected to a buzzer since 1994. If loosing coolant there is at least a warning and time to stop. Otherwise a simple dislodged hose can cook your motor. I definitely get myself that device, it fits the Disco 2 and might safe a multy-thousand dollar rebuilt. Every TD5 owner should think about getting it.
Summary: With all the electronic gadgets in the car, why is it possible to blow the TD5 so easily without upgrades? Money making by LR?