Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy or Not to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:26 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Buy or Not to Buy?

I'm considering purchasinga 2000 Disco II with 100,000 miles on it for the primary family vehicle. I'm tired of making payments and just want to pay cash for something and drive it. Seven seating and 4x4 are a must since we have a family of six that hunt, fish and camp. I've always wanted a Rover but it is a good purchase to make for the family? I have a Z71 Suburban so I'm used to forking money over for gas, but the maintenance on it is minimal. How's the maintenance cost on a Disco? How much can an experienced mechanic do himself wihout a ton of special tools? There's no Rover dealer here can you get parts at the Ford dealer. Any info would be great.

Thanks, Ron in Montana

Old 10-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Well Ron I also will not have car payments, I think that they are a waste of money.
The problem with buying a used Rover is that the previous owner most likly negelected it because they knew that they were going to be getting rid of it.
That being said. No you cannot buy parts at the Ford dealer. Ford no longer ownes LR. But you can buy 90% of the parts at a autopart supplier like AutoZone or NAPA. The rest you can buy on-line.
I will include a couple of links.
The front driveshaft will need to be rebuilt with greasable u-joints. The air ride suspension will either need to be repaired (expensive) or replaced with springs (cheap) when it fails.
You MUST use premium gas, this is arequirement not a recommendation. But you willget better MPG than your Sub.
The shade tree mechanic can easily work on his Rover with basic tools.
The more work you can do yourself the more money you will save.
These trucks are very reliable and you will love it.
www.atlanticbritish.com, they also have tech tips, read them.
www.roverlandparts.com, great used parts.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Mudding

I would not recommend you buy one as a primary vehicle, especially one with 100K on it. Of course, much depends on the history of the vehicle. But, Unless you have money laying around, or the skills to do major work on the vehicle, or the abillty to learn to do so, I would PASS. these vehicles are maintenance intensive and frequently experience breakdowns that could cost more to repair than the vehicle is worth! I love my Disco but, it's my secondary vehicle and keepin it in top shape is kinda my hobby.Good luck!

Old 10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Rock Crawling

I bought my 2000 Disco II with 128,000 miles. Beyond regular maintenance such as new plugs, wires, fluids, and tires it is supremely reliable. Daily driver and excellent trail machine.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine with 90,000 thousand on the clock, it has 101,000 now. I have only had one break down that was minor and I have kept up with regular maint. If you take care of it, it will run fine and only give you minor trouble. But that being said, you run the risk of getting a disco that seems to enjoy the shop. So its a risk, but if you have someone look over it and if it has the records in it, you might be alright. Do be sure to set aside some cash for first time repairs though, I can almost promise there will be a few.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like Spike said, I had to put about 2 grand into fixing all the crap the previous owner neglected, and that was 50,000 miles ago. Since then it has been very reliable, and I wouldn't think of trading it. I drove a Chevy Tahoe before and there's no comparison. This thing is heavier duty, tougher, better off-road, gets better gas mileage, and is better looking than any Tahoe or Suburban.

Use full synthetic oil and 93 octane gas... Yes those are more expensive, but will pay for themselves many times over.
Parts are higher for these things and a little harder to get if you aren't near a dealer. Those links Spike provided will be valuable to you if you get the Disco. I don't know how to advise you... You'll probably spend a little more money on it to get it going, but you'll probably think it's worth it. These things have a way of getting in your blood, and you can't imagine what life would be life would be like without the Disco.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

In the first 12 months (20,000 miles) of ownership with my DI I spent $400 in unexpected repairs. Wheel bearings and a alternator.
Almost 1,000 of those miles were trail miles.
I am 18 months into ownership, have 174,000 miles on it and I would drive this truck around the world.
It was the family car until were bought the Volvo July 2008.
These trucks are more than reliable as long as it is well maintained, you cannot gas it and forget it.
Between this forum and those links I gave you you can fix anything on a LR yourself with tools from Sears.
Land Rovers are not for everyone. But a Sub just doesnt even come close.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 PM
Rock Crawling

I tell my friends you should buy a car that is good at something. Rovers' have personality and are extremely capable off road. They combine a lot of good things into something no other vehicle has. I've owned several cars and a truck, and none of these caught my attention like the Rover. I've thought about getting other cars. LR3, 2004 Disco II. It has that effect.

Cheers,

Pete

Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Ron,
What are they asking for the truck??

Old 10-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I've had my '96 for 2 years now, I've put about 20k on it. 122k now. Aside from regular maintenances and a new set of brake pads, nothing has failed on me yet. I still need to fix the front sunroof and rear windows, but that went wrong long before I got my hands on the truck and I just don't want to be bothered with them right now. All in all, I love my truck and I plan on having it well into the 300k range. If you take care of these trucks they take care of you.

Quick Reply: To Buy or Not to Buy?