Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Buy or Not to Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:00 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To Buy or Not to Buy?

The going price here in Montana is around $9000 for a 1999-2000. I don't plan on buying a neglected beater that somone has taken off road already. I'm looking for that yuppie couple that would never dream of getting itdirty. From all you guys have posted, it seems like buying any other vehicle, some have been cared for and could go forever and some are junk and cost you a fortune. I've been a professional mechanic (by that I mean paid to turn wrenches) for 15 years now, so I'm not afraid to tackle to much of anything...as long as I have the proper tools and a book.

Oh and it's Rob not Ron....sorry I about the typo earlier.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

WOW! They are that expensive in Montana? They arealmost cheap here in MI.
Have you checked www.edmunds.com? Or www.kbb.com, www.nada.com, www.cars.com.
It might be worth it for you to drive a few hours to save several grand.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:37 AM
7th Gear

I wonder if it has anything to do with RUST!!! LOL We don't use salt here, shoot we're lucky if they put down gravel. I grew up west of Flint, Mi. My mom and dad and in laws still live there....I guess I could still call it home. But I'll never leave Montana!! I just checked craigslist and they have a 99 for $7000 and a 2003 for $10,000.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Team Owner

These trucks dont rust like other cars.
Only the door skins and roof are steel on a DII, on a DI all the body skins, except the roof, are aluminum.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:54 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The asking prices are high and I do not see them selling for that prices.
This is a buyers market don't overpay as most will need work that
the last owner did not do.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:02 AM
7th Gear

Aluminum, no kidding? That's awesome. So the potential to have this vehicle for a long time is there as well. I'm thinking when it's done being the family ride it could be a gret hunting outfit. Whats the going price your neck of the woods?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Team Owner

It is a off road vehicle first and a family car second, just to set the record straight.

http://edmunds.autotrader.com/fyc/se...c=&systime=

These trucks were meant to be driven off road, so dont worry about finding one that has been taken off road.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 PM
7th Gear

It is a off road vehicle first and a family car second, just to set the record straight.
To us its a family car first and an orv second. I dont need the record set, but thanks. The roads here in Montana arent like Michigan roads. The majority of them are stilll dirt, get rutted, covered in ice and snow drifts. I know theyre made for off roading, but I'm not planning on getting a rig someguy has beat the crap out of. Again the object is to get a good reliable family rig that can go where we want it to go...camping, hunting, stables etc. That being said, I did a search at craigslist and I cant beleive how much more they are around here than the rest of the country. Ill have to way the cost/benefit, but it may be better to make a road trip and get one for a reasonable price. Thanks for the help. You guys have a ton of great info on this site and I'll be checking it out and hopefuly sharing some with you in the future.

Thanks, ROB

Old 10-09-2008, 08:40 PM
Team Owner

Rob, I hope you dont think that I was trying to be a jerk, it was a poor attempt at a joke, I do that alot. Really bad jokes, I'm good at it.
Anyway, maybe if you guys come home for the holidays and you have a truck picked out in the Flint/Saginaw/Pontiac area and it is cheaper than Montana...you could drive it back.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 PM
7th Gear

Sorry if I got a bit defensive.....No harm, no foul. Funny you should say that, my wife just mentioned the same thing. Go home for a visit and check a few out and drive it back. I just looked down by Fort Collins, CO. and they look like the right price down there. That area is comparable to the rest of the country and my sister lives near there. Im really excited and hate to have to wait until after the holidays, but we have to save to get it and that means being patient. All I know is it will be much better than the Suburban. Oh I forgot to ask about towing. I have a 29 travel trailer. Is towing good or bad with a Disco? It's not a deal breaker beacuse I have an olderF250 I can towwith.

Quick Reply: To Buy or Not to Buy?