Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy, or not to buy. Possible owner inquiry.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To buy, or not to buy. Possible owner inquiry.

Here's the deal.

I'm looking to buy a Disco to be the fourth addition to our family. I'm in desperate need of a four door, with room - to fit all the rugrats.

Being tight on money, and not looking to finance I found a disco that is 1200 and needing a "right front head gasket" Depending on the price of the fix, I'd either drive it into the ground, or fix it. I only need it to last about 6 months - since I just had my baby and am starting back with work - just enough time to get my daily driver the way I want it.

I need to know what to look for - its a 2000 disco with 166k.

What is the compression ratio for these trucks?

Also, where can I find a pic underneath a disco looking at a good or bad u joint? I've seen it separately but not being car savvy, I'd be lost underneath one.

What would be the cost to do the head gasket?

Ultimately, to buy or not to buy is the question. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Do not buy.

Rovers are good for mechanics and/or people with money to burn.

They are amazing trucks in some ways, but not appropriate for many owners.

Sorry. Get an Xterra.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would say not if you are having it done at a shop. It will be at least 2k if it is head gaskets, if it's worse (cracked liner or block) the price goes way up. If you 'need' a cheap suv for awhile, look at late 90s tahoes, yukons, suburbans. These are pretty reliable if the tranny shifts well, and have plenty of room and power. Also, no timing belts like 4runners and other late 90s import suvs. Many decent well running examples can be found for under 3k.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

That's a good point. There's 01 Suburban in my town with ~120k miles for $3500. Those things are a steal right now.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:25 PM
6th Gear

No, wouldn't be done at a shop. You know the saying, a friend of a friend. I figured worst case scenario - I'd get it for 1k use it till it dies and part it out, which I'd get more than what I payed for it. Unless I like it, I'd add it to my dinosaur garage.

I picked it because I like the look of it. I am a woman after all.
If I had it my way it'd be a defender, hehe!!

We (being my husband) bought a mustang recently and I'm not financing anything else at the moment while dumping more money into my VR4. After the VR4 is done, I'll buy something else, or keep it if I like it. I'm not particularly worried with the mileage - since my other two cars have 211 and 276 (the stang is the only youngin) I just need to know any major problems that aren't on the sticky and how to figure out if it will explode after I drive it ten miles.

For instance, in the vr4 if the timing belt goes you're engine is done for. Consider your car totaled.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:09 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

With a bad head gasket you will only get 50 to 200 miles out of it
before it blows a coolant hoses and then over heats and turns to total rubbish.
Must be fixed.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's a big gamble. If it's anything more than headgaskets, it will be 5k for a new engine, at the least. If the previous owner ran it hot for any period of time, the engine could be toast. It just isn't a safe bet, but you seem pretty stuck on it because of its looks. If you plan on 'driving it into the ground' you won't get far. My bet would be the previous owner had the same mindset, and that is why it's for sale with a blown engine for $1200.

Last edited by MC04DII; 02-27-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Winching

X2 very big gamble. Even with these trucks up and running 100%, they eat gas like nooones business....so if your tight on money, hauling the kids around is going to drain your wallet fast trust me lol

Shop around for a used 4 door voltswagon 1.6 or 1.9 diesel jetta or something. Great gas mileage and you have the fun of a diesel engine.

You could also shop around for a 84-89 Toyota 4Runner. I am in the market for a old 22r model!

Last edited by sloan74; 02-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:22 AM
6th Gear

Wow, I figured I'd be able to get some miles out of it with watching oil and engine temp. Sad news
Not like the poor dart I used to drive around with a blown head gasket. But that's a hell of a lot easier to fix than this thing.

I'd need something that I can use for approx 50 miles at the max a week.

I suppose if it overheated bad enough, I'd hear an engine knock?
What does the junker usually pay for these?

I'm a sucker for a fixer up, but I at least need one that will run for the meanwhile.

There's another disco at a repo place for about 6k, with less miles..
2001 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SERIES II SE7 SPORT UTILITY 4D

Probably a smarter idea.

Anyway, this is the one in question.
2001 LAND ROVER DISCOVERY SERIES II SE7 SPORT UTILITY 4D

Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 AM
6th Gear

Damn, I posted the wrong link for the original disco..

Here it is.. 2000 land rover discovery 4x4

Quick Reply: To buy, or not to buy. Possible owner inquiry.