Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To buy, or not to buy. Possible owner inquiry.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

based on your criteria i'd agree with most others and suggest you do not purchase a discovery. it seems like a very bad idea. they need a ton of work and money and buying a super cheap one to get to work and tote around kids is asking for massive trouble. i honestly would have trouble coming up with a worse suggestion.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

It looks like you already bought that beater? You said, "I picked it up..."
It's a great idea not to finance another car. You will lose more on interest and depreciation than you could with the worst Disco in the world. But still, a Disco II can really punish you.

In my experience, the worst kind of Disco II buyer is the one who is broke after they buy one for $8k, is elated that they could finally afford such a cool car, and thinks they will be good to go. You, by starting off at the bottom end with a parts-car, are a little better off. At least you have some expectation of needing to put some money into it to make it viable. What you may not be aware of is how much money, especially when you'll need someone to do all the work. Even with free labor from oneself or their generous friends, the sheer volume of replacement parts, not to mention their potentially high prices can add up very quickly. As a "fixer upper" these can be very high-risk cars. You could replace a head-gasket, flip it and come out on top. That's super rare. A much more typical experience is that you do one thing after another and it cascades into a vortex-like money pit. Be aware.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't look like a 2000, 2000 didn't come with SAI which that one has so either someone replaced the motor once upon a time with a SAI version or they posted the ad wrong. These trucks are great if you do the work to it yourself or can get it done very cheap. You're buying a 13 year old disco so expect to be replacing parts and running into little quirks (3 amigos, overheating issues, etc etc)

With all the issues that can just be seen with the photos (body damage, listed as a 2000 yet has SAI, interior is ripped up) I'd say pass. You can spend a little more and get one with 40k less miles in much better shape.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you only need to drive it 50 miles a week max, i might actually consider it. that changes everything

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM
6th Gear

Thanks guys for all your input. I might just wait until i put ac and power steering in the VR4 and purchase a mazdaspeed3 4door, instead of getting an "in between" car. Something else completely not practical, but that I want. Haha at least it seats 5.

I guess if I'm going to throw money into it anyway I might as well look for a defender instead of throwing money into a discovery - as a hobby car to have fun with. But that's much later down the road. I really like the look of these cars, and with a little customization they look even more badass. Eventually I will end up with one.

I'm pretty good with getting car fixed and finding parts cheaper than norm, but I don't know enough about these cars to keep myself from buying something totally not worth it.

Brokeit - what years came with SAI?

These cars sound like like the 3000gts, a high maintenance broad.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:19 AM
6th Gear

I thought they started the option in 99 but I might be misinformed.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AshleyAnne
I thought they started the option in 99 but I might be misinformed.
I was told a few times it wasnt until later years but I was the one misinformed I guess apparently they did start earlier.