Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Blower Motor Question-

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/C Blower Motor Question-

Hey there gang-

My A/C blower seems to be working at a diminished capacity- (not blowing as HARD as it used to) I have all discernable speeds from low to hi, my recirc buttin is ON, all vents are open with no blockage and my blower motor is free of any debris, its just that the force at which it comes from the vents is not as high as it used to be. I spoje to my INDIE and he said its most likely NOT a blower problem, but a "capacitor" problem.

I've done some research and found 3 possible parts, but want confirmation on what each one does AND if there may be consensual confirmation on his diagnosis-
PART: (pics included)

1. Blower Motor Transistor
2. Blower Motor Transistor Resistor
3. Blower Motor Relay

Thanks as usual for all of your help as the hot/humid summer months fast approach TAMPA!!!

Attached Thumbnails A/C Blower Motor Question--blower-resistor.jpg   A/C Blower Motor Question--blower-transistor-resistor.jpg   A/C Blower Motor Question--blower-relay.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Transistor.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:05 PM
Mudding

Thanks Savannah! (knew you'd be there for me!) hahaha

Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Mudding

OKAY- for clarification pusrposes, I did a bit more digging and found that my first pic is for a REAR a/c blower and the second one (transistor resistor) is for the front blower. Hope that helps anyone else.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Here's some info from the RAVE - may not be any of these. Normal is speeds 1-30 if blower relay and transistor are good. Last speed takes just the power relay.

The ATC ECU operates a blower relay, power transistor and power relay to run the blower at one of 31 stepped speeds. All speed steps are available in the automatic modes of blower control. In the manual mode, speed steps 3, 10, 16, 22 and 31 are used to provide slow, three intermediate and fast blower speeds. The ATC ECU energises the blower relay and modulates the power transistor to operate the blower for speed steps 1 to 30. For speed step 31, the ATC ECU energises the power relay, which switches the earth side of the blower motor direct to earth, bypassing the
power transistor.

So if all speeds are working, these guys may be in the clear. Do you have any pollen filters on that model that might be gunked solid? Did you drop the blower fan and inspect?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it noisy at all? It couls also be that the brush on the motor is going bad. You probably will not be able to find a replacement but you may be able to turn it around and us the longer end. I did this with my RR and it worked perfect and I did not need to replace the blower motors just yet. Just another thought to look at.