Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/c condenser fan

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/c condenser fan

So I was driving home today with the A/c on and I started to hear a squeal at idle. It seemed to go away however, so I went on my way. When I got home I checked things out and the sound is coming from the condenser fan. I checked to make sure there wasnt anything caught in it which there wasn't. It seems as though the unit shakes pretty violently, making the noise. What I was going to ask you fine people is if it could be loose or is it definate the the bearing is shot and I need a new one. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

When you say condenser fan, you refer to the electric one on the front of the AC condenser. You'll want to replace, either with used, OEM, or plain jane aftermarket from the auto parts store. A fan with vibration can have something like a mud dauber wasp nest built on it (unbalances), or a broken blade. The vibration can get worse.

The other fan, the larger one on the engine side of the radiator, it is driven from the water pump, and if it is wobbling you have a bad water pump. It can come off and go thru the hood or radiator.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea it's the electric one in front of the condenser fan, behind the front grill. Perhaps I should take it out and thoroughly inspect it for debris. I can't see anything while it's in the truck but perhaps something is hiding. Is it impossible for it to shake because of the housing?

Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

You may find something on inspection. This is one of those things that is "simple" and you could use "real Rover" or generic parts, just a suitable size one from the scrap yard for about $30. Or brand new generic for about $70. Which ever way you go, be sure in the final set up that air sucks thru the grille and blows toward the engine. My PO replaced them, got the wiring reversed, and at low speed or idle the electric van VS mechanical fan cancelled out, the mechanical fan clutch was "free-wheeling" - and it would stop at certain speed. Great overheat.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your fan motor is dead, let me know if you need a good guaranteed used fan.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in need of two AC condenser fans due to both my Disco's having frozen motors. Odd thing is you wouldn't even know they don't work. Ac works fine, no running hot issues. Any one know where I can get to good used units?

Old 06-24-2012, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

The no running hot is if you are depending on the gauge to tell you, but it won't until it is too late. If checked with a scanner I bet you would be a lot hotter than you think. Dismantler parts guys, junk yards, fleabay, or generic from auto parts store. The radiator does not know what sticker is on the fan just if it moves enough air.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Someone feel free to correct me, but the fan motor from a 2000 Toyota Corolla is a match.

The common number I keep hearing is Four Seasons Part # 35110

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks RacerX!! I could get a new motor for $77 delivered vs $100 for an old used motor assembly that with my luck will fail again in a month. With ac on or off the coolant temp is not affected with this fan not running. I'm hoping to get a bit colder ac at idle. The four seasons 35110 does look to be very similar with the unit I removed.

Can anyone else chime in and confirm this is the correct motor??

Old 06-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Your engine operating temp is effected if the fan is not working so don't think you are not taking a risk. Once your engine hits 212, if the fan doesn't come on the engine will begin to over heat.

Quick Reply: A/c condenser fan