Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Is it a relay you can see? I would swap it with another one and see if that fixes it. They are cheap to replace. I've actually opened them up and cleaned the contacts to get them working again.

Other options is when the motor is out, verify if the Brushes and Armature are both ok. If the brushes are too worn, or if they are stuck from gunk, they will not touch the Armature enough to make an electrical connection. Or, the Armatures can be worn enough they don't work anymore.
yeah... Ill check that too.... on my old car.. "British Rover Sterling" the motor just fell apart... it was the brushes... fortunately that part was from a honda... so was super cheap part... That fan made allot of noise... this Disco fan didnt make any real noise... however........ before it cut out... the fan didnt seem like it really blew cold.. not like it did when I bought it at least.... but then when it came back on... it was blowing MUCH harder and I was like NIIICCEE! ... then it stopped for good...

Are these relays just like the other ones on the fuse panel? I have a handful of those lol

Old 06-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by dparham
Are these relays just like the other ones on the fuse panel? I have a handful of those lol
I have not looked at the ones you are speaking of, but if the plugs are the same, they likely are. There are also numbers on the side of them, see if the numbers match. If they do, you are good to try it. I haven't yet messed with the relays in the Rover, but in my Jaguar, there were about 15 that were the same, so it was easy to find one to swap with.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Winching

I have not looked at the ones you are speaking of, but if the plugs are the same, they likely are. There are also numbers on the side of them, see if the numbers match. If they do, you are good to try it. I haven't yet messed with the relays in the Rover, but in my Jaguar, there were about 15 that were the same, so it was easy to find one to swap with.
yeah.. all those yellow ones are the same and there are a few of the black ones I have too... Ill check them out when I get home... OH PLEASE OH PLEASE! BE THE FIX FOR MY AC! lol

Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Winching

Hmmmm i may have found something.... Im getting 14.3v as i think is normal from full battery power... However... When unpluging a hot connector under dash (smelled wet burning plastic before a/c stopped few weeks ago as a reference) well i noticed this... Anyone know what effect this would have? Lol

Fan when jumped directly to battery works great so thats not the issue

Attached Thumbnails A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-image.jpg  

Last edited by dparham; 06-13-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Hmmmm i may have found something.... Im getting 14.3v as i think is normal from full battery power... However... When unpluging a hot connector under dash (smelled wet burning plastic before a/c stopped few weeks ago as a reference) well i noticed this... Anyone know what effect this wouod have? Lol

Fan when jumped directly to battery works great so thats not the issue
Likely a loose connection there that caused the heat. When the plastic melted, it caused the connection to get even worse. Clean and tighten (replace plug if necessary), and hopefully all will be well again.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Winching

Likely a loose connection there that caused the heat. When the plastic melted, it caused the connection to get even worse. Clean and tighten (replace plug if necessary), and hopefully all will be well again.
I may cut off the offending plug and instal an Anderson plug... heck, that means my fuse panel may also be good

Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM
Pro Wrench

heck, that means my fuse panel may also be good
Wouldn't THAT be nice. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yup, a new plug and make sure that wire is fused, with that much heat , the increase in amperage should have tripped a fuse

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
yup, a new plug and make sure that wire is fused, with that much heat , the increase in amperage should have tripped a fuse
yeah.... maybe it was a quick shot of a loose plug and bamo! that makes sense that when i fiddled around there probing for a hot then fan started working... I think possibly a loose fitting sparked... melted the plastic between the hot side coating it and when fiddling around down there inadvertently allowed for it to make contact temporarily but still in a loose state... so as expected.. shorted out again... hmmm dangerous to have little fires under dash! lol maybe its best to replace all connectors with nice Anderson's! lol or equivalent lol Too bad I wasn't enjoying a nice deep mudhole when that happened! haha

Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Winching

Well here was my problem! A/c blowing hard again!

This is the brown/red - black connection on right side of motor ( not the blue /red connector...

Attached Thumbnails A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation