Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Very helpful thread. Doing mine today. The intermittent squeaking is a pain.
Let me know how it goes, and if there is anything I can change in the original Tutorial.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Supersport you're the man. My blower has been making noise for some time now and I tackled this today. The root cause was the failing cabin filter mesh under the hood. See attached.

Attached Thumbnails A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-0-1.jpeg   A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation-0.jpeg  
Old 12-29-2014, 01:30 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by danboy
Supersport you're the man. My blower has been making noise for some time now and I tackled this today. The root cause was the failing cabin filter mesh under the hood. See attached.
Awesome! Yeah, it's nice to have it quiet finally...

Old 01-17-2015, 12:30 PM
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found a mouse in mine! Looks like he had a few revolutions too many.
Many thanks for the tutorial. Took only about an hour start to finish.

The following users liked this post:
SuperSport (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

another god sticky

SuperSport (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 178 Likes on 165 Posts

So glad I stumbled upon this post. Removed the blower motor and I honestly don't see how any air was blowing. It was literally full of leaves, cigarette butt and some dead insects. It was making a weird kind of vibrating noise, that was very annoying and was checking prices on replacement. I blew out the inside of the motor and applied some oil and reinstalled. The difference was phenomenal. Went to pick up the kiddos and cold air blew out the back passenger door when i opened it up. No noise, cold air, and best of all, I do not need to buy another(for a while anyway).
It took no more than 30 minutes from start to finish, and I was taking my time, did not want to break the squirrel cage.
My hats off to the OP for this write up.
Please make this a sticky.
There is no telling how many more threads I will come across that will be of great value to my Disco.

SuperSport (10-09-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Amen. I have been doing this once every other year or so for the past 4 or 5 years because of a bearing that begins to chirp like a cricket on hard left turns. Over the years I have tried various oils, but what seems to last the longest is the original 3-in-one oil. I first used it on a fan on my PC motherboard which is proprietary and obsolete about 6 years ago. When my blower started making noise, I thought "what the heck...if it worked on a tiny motor, maybe it will work on a larger one..." Perfectly silent for the next year or so.

SuperSport (10-10-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI
New motor from Amazon using my Prime was $231.00 including 2DA. It was a "ROVER PART" not a knock off.
I am glad to read how to save one since I have multi Rovers. Great write up.

SuperSport (10-10-2015)
Old 10-09-2015, 09:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lordmorpheus
Amen. I have been doing this once every other year or so for the past 4 or 5 years because of a bearing that begins to chirp like a cricket on hard left turns. Over the years I have tried various oils, but what seems to last the longest is the original 3-in-one oil. I first used it on a fan on my PC motherboard which is proprietary and obsolete about 6 years ago. When my blower started making noise, I thought "what the heck...if it worked on a tiny motor, maybe it will work on a larger one..." Perfectly silent for the next year or so.
FYI
I tried my fine gun oil on a blower in my Proper Motor Car and that was 5 years ago and still very quit.
I Bet the Gun oil is just 3n1 in a different bottle, never know about that stuff.

SuperSport (10-10-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 01:21 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I just replaced my blower motor with a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am blower for around $42. I had to pick up a few items from Lowes before installing it but it works great compared to the Land Rover blower. Of course I cleaned the old one up and lubricated the crap out of it but naturally all it would do is screek and make all kind of noise and leak stuff all over the floor of my garage. Thank goodness for kitty litter. LOL.

Quick Reply: A/C Heater Blower Motor Removal, Cleaning, Oiling, Installation