Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Shaft/Air Brake Modular

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:17 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Shaft/Air Brake Modular

I'm new to Land Rover having driven Cheve's all my life. I love her, she looks good and the a/c and radio work. I bought an 03 Discovery II S with 39k in april of 06 after my blazer literally blew up leaving the office. To date, I have had only one problem and that was a door latch/actuator broken. I now have 72k miles and have 3k left on the warranty. I have been told that it is guarented (bymy sales guy at the dealership)the cam shaft and air brake moduler will fail b/w 75-90k mile marker. My sales rep is great but I thougt I would get another opinion since the extra warranty from LR is up to 100k miles for $2400. not cheap but I hear having these items fail w/o warranty is near $4,500.

Any thoughts anyone would have would be great. Also, if anyone knows where to find good parts for LR in ATL that is just as good.

Happy Hunting,

Matt (one proud owner)

Old 01-30-2008, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Cam Shaft/Air Brake Modular

I don't even know WTF an air brake moduler is... Cam shafts are storng, I haven't heard of a cam failing.

Early production 2003 models had bad oil pumps, and the u-joints in the double cardan joint are prone to failure, as they are not serviceable. Maybe he was talking about the ABS modulator? They don't fail as often as the dealer would like you to believe. Most times, you get the 3 amigos (do a search on here) that is set off by a dirty wheel sensor. The dealer will want to replace the shuttle valve.

If you are not too mechanical, I would suggest the warranty...

Old 01-30-2008, 07:48 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

With todays costs, an extended warranty is worth while.
There is no such thing as an air breke mod. and as a retires service manager, I have never seen a cam break.
Tell him for me, he is so full of S--T.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
4th Gear

Like my name suggests, I'm green and don't know sh#t when It comes to LR. Chev's i do...I probably had it wrong withthe name...the abs sounds like it could be it. the dealer was saying it is less than an 1/4 inch to the cad. converator so it can fail easly due to heat.

I'm mechanical, but need to get more familiar with the LR.I've changeswater pumps, alternators, brakes, discs, etcin the past, butam iritated like hell Idon't know enoughabout LR's.

Sh*t, when I first had a flat, it took me 40 minutes to find the jack because I refused to look at the book. Then I had to learn had to take the wheel off. Thats what makes me feel good about some yahoo down town ATL will have 0 luck at stealing my sh#t.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Do yourself a favor and get a RAVE CD from e-bay, or google it and download the PDF. Sit down and look through it. It has the diagrams and workshop manuals. Everything you should need. Make yourself read it, and if you have questions, pop on on here.

Cheers

Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM
4th Gear

do you think I need to bite the cost of the $2300 for the warranty. I don't really want to cough up that when the failures being presented may neveroccur.

I was told alotabout land rovers and to this day, ithas not been thenightmare people said it would be. At this mileage mark, my blazer was getting a new transmission, the side mirrors were falling off, and the radio was in a frtiz. I am very pleased with my LR.

Matt

Old 01-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Camel Trophy

Don't get me wrong, they are great vehicles. But if something is missed, like putting servicable u-joints on the front shaft, you loose a tranny and around $7K. With the oil pump issues on the 2003, I would extend the warranty, unless you feel confident in your mechanical capabilities. Using terms like air brake modular leads me toward suggesting you buy it. No offense.

When you get down to the bones, the LR isn't too different from the Chevy's you are used to. The main difference is they have to be hooked to a special scanner to clear ABS fault signals, but on the plus side, you can diagnose more with the scanner. I have done just about everything short of an overhaul on the moteor on my D1 and everything has been easy. Removing the sway bar and track rod to drop the pan was a pain, but not hard. The CD will give you an idea of what you are looking at for repairs. Get one and decide, but I say buy the warranty..