Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Shaft Broken, What Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam Shaft Broken, What Happened?

I have a disco 2 2002(w/O secondary Air) 150k. My engine(new heads) stalled the other day . i tried to pullover only to hear an explosion noise and my oil all over the place. I looked under and the short block had a 3 inch hole in it right under cyl 6. I have had a loss of compression in cylinder 6 for a few weeks now and i thought it was bad piston rings. i started taking the engine part today and after removing the exhaust manifold gasket i saw that my Cam shaft is missing a piece and broken between Cyl 7 & 6. my rocker arm(driver side) had the rocker broken at cyl 7 and the 2 of the lifters on that cylinder we sunk into the engine. My question is what could of caused a cam shaft to break that way. i have not pulled the block out to see what kind of damage i have around cyl 6 where the hole is.

PS: i have replaced the lifters with refurbed ones that compressed very nicely when i put them in a few weeks ago but now when i took them out they were all locked as they if they are full of air, is that normal or something is wrong with lifters as well?
Sorry for the lengthy post, all your help is appreciated

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Lifter came apart and get wedged in the camshaft and broke it?

Old 06-21-2013, 05:57 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

did you pump the lifters up with oil before you installed them?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You never put new or remanufactured lifters on an old Rover cam, they are way to soft and the wear from the cam will tear up the hardened surface of the lifters.
Too bad you didn't ask about cam/lifter issues prior to doing this job.
So what now, are you going to throw in a used long or short block? If yes, make sure you check with us as to what to buy or not buy and what should be done to the used engine prior to installing it.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The upcoming holiday may have a special sale price at various salavge yards near you. Most Rovers in the u-pull yards will need head gaskets.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:32 AM
4wd Low

i opened the lifter and put oil in it and reclosed it. was that the proper way to do it?
when the lifter were installed they were soft enough for me to push them down with my finger.
I am wondering if the lifter had anything to do with it since the problem i have had with cylinder 6 not building up pressure existed before i did the head and lifter job.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM
4wd Low

yes. I purchased a a whole used engine from the yard. I took it apart all the way down to the block and took it it yesterday to a machine shop to clean and rebuild it for me.
The negine i picked up has secondary air injection, i called the rover dealership and they said although its a different part number it should be the same block. I have 2 extra heads now and another set of lifters and rods that i can reclean and reuse.
please advise on what needs to be done and also if you know of any places that sell all the seals and gasket for a short block job. in case i have a crack in the heads i have on can i reuse the heads from the engine i bought from the yard and plug them.
Thank you

Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM
4wd Low

No, the lifter were all intact. But they were all hard. I took one apart and as soon as I let the air out of it, it worked again. R they supposed to build pressure and get that hard?

Old 06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes they are.
you can use SAI motor but you must use your non-SAI heads

Old 06-21-2013, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Not meaning to be critical, but if you had a loss of compression for a few weeks, you really should not have been driving the truck.

Quick Reply: Cam Shaft Broken, What Happened?