Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this cam worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Is this cam worn out?

Is this a genuine LR cam and is it worn out? or are the dark lines on the lobes just varnish? looks like may be worn through the plating? from an 00 4.0

I'm putting in a new cam and lifters and wondering if this one is worth keeping or seen it's better days?

Attached Thumbnails Is this cam worn out?-dsc00965.jpg   Is this cam worn out?-dsc00966.jpg   Is this cam worn out?-dsc00968.jpg   Is this cam worn out?-dsc00971.jpg   Is this cam worn out?-dsc00972.jpg  

Is this cam worn out?-dsc00973.jpg   Is this cam worn out?-dsc00974.jpg  

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-06-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:35 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks fine to me.
You could replace it.
But then what do you really put in there?
Could get something saying ROVER but is made in China with gosh only
knows what specs.

I left the old cam in my D1 and replaced the lifters.
I guess that is a no-no...

D1 had 170,000 miles on it and still going.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by jfall
Looks fine to me.
You could replace it.
But then what do you really put in there?
Could get something saying ROVER but is made in China with gosh only
knows what specs.

I left the old cam in my D1 and replaced the lifters.
I guess that is a no-no...

D1 had 170,000 miles on it and still going.
ok I don't how they look when they are worn. I was planning a complete rebuild on this motor using 4.6 crank and rods and thought I would get new cam bearings, cam and lifters. was thinking maybe a crower cam. I haven't started researching that yet.

I'll post pics of the lifters tomorrow and maybe you can have a look at those. The lifters don't look that worn to me but I'm not a trained mechanic so really don't know what to look for.

If I get new cam bearing and new cam will get new lifters as well but would like to hang onto all of this if it's still good.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one on the right (obviously) was my old one. There were enough uneven wear patterns on the lobes for me to replace it. To be honest it is very hard to tell just by looking at them if theyre worn, but mine did look worse than yours does.

As an aside, my new cam is a crower 229 (left). Now that it has worn in and the computer readjusted the fueling, I can definitely feel a power difference.

Last edited by wallyman424; 07-06-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

You have it torn down I'd throw the 229 and a new set of lifters in and be happy.

I also have a 229 in my motor and you can tell a difference.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:09 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

In all honesty, judging by the photos, there appears nothing wrong with the cam. It does not have any scoring or deep marks but the only way to check accurately is by a micrometer against the spec and given exhaust and inlet lifts and also check the diameter of the bearing journals. It is obviously not a high performance long dwell cam and from the photos doesn't show signs of wear on the cam ramps. IMO providing it checks out on measurements within the set tolerances you would be throwing $$$ money away.

Do you have a surface plate, vee blocks and a magnetic stand and dial gauge as the cam could be set up with a dial gauge and rotated in the vee blocks and comparisons made between cams as well as an initial micrometer measurement check.

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 07-06-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
In all honesty, judging by the photos, there appears nothing wrong with the cam. It does not have any scoring or deep marks but the only way to check accurately is by a micrometer against the spec and given exhaust and inlet lifts and also check the diameter of the bearing journals. It is obviously not a high performance long dwell cam and from the photos doesn't show signs of wear on the cam ramps. IMO providing it checks out on measurements within the set tolerances you would be throwing $$$ money away.

Do you have a surface plate, vee blocks and a magnetic stand and dial gauge as the cam could be set up with a dial gauge and rotated in the vee blocks and comparisons made between cams as well as an initial micrometer measurement check.
I can put it between centers on my lathe and check for runout.

I can mic lifts and journals against spec.

I did push all of my lifters through cardboard and labeled them to what lobe they ride on so if I did decide to re-use the cam and those I could put them back where they go.

Also this block has cam bearings with the notches in them. Isn't that the new style? If so does that mean that the cam bearings have already been changed?

I also pulled the main bearing caps and the bearings don't look that worn.
I will post pics of those and the crank in a day or so. I marked all of that for placement and direction for reassembly. I figure I should probably change the main and rod bearings anyway, since I will have it all apart.

I will have to pull the pistons and all to carry the block to a machine shop to pressure test and check for square and flat deck. so guessing I probably put new rings in? I will mic the inside of the cylinder bores for roundness.

The lifters don't look that worn either I will post pics tomorrow of those. Someone may have already changed all of this out sometime in the past.

The Timing chain and gears look new too the bottom gear teeth still have the little horizontal ridges and the chain has no more slack than the new set I just put on my 03 and I used new genuine chain and gears. My 03 had a LOT of slack before I changed it out.

and the freeze plugs look new.

anyway, first question is did land rover ever use cam bearings with the swirl type cutouts on the inside surface?

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-06-2014 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default cam bearings

I pulled the cam today and the front bearing has the swirl pattern like the one in this pic. Did rover bearings have the groves or whatever you call them in the front bearing? or have mine been replaced? If mine have been replaced I probably won't change them again. I asked the same question in another one of my threads but thought I would ask here too. so if nobody answers the other one.

Attached Thumbnails Is this cam worn out?-stc1961rvf.jpg  

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-06-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:42 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi RicketyTick, I'm not particularly up on the Rover V8 engines but I would guess the fron bearing has the 'swirl' pattern for lube or as an oil thrower. If these bearings are worn and have seriously gone through the white metalling surface I'd replace them. If you have an internal micrometer check for wear and ovality. https://www.google.fr/search?q=inter...w=1280&bih=706

As for timing chains, if rebuilding the motor defo replace as they have a real hard life and if they break cause enormous damage.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:58 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

looks like number 7 cam lob is wiped out to me
if you look at the last two pictures you can see something has been running off the cam lob to the right.
the spot it is running on is the casting seam, I would assume that lob is below specs.

Last edited by drowssap; 07-07-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Is this cam worn out?