Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft bearings 04 SE7

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 05:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalDisco
Sorry, I couldn't upload from my phone earlier. I believe it is a camshaft bearing because the puzzle piece looking ends are similar to the one bearing in the set that I have seen online.
Wow, looks like the bearing got smashed flat by the cam. It must have grabbed it and pulled it off the camshaft.
I had one fall out and you never would have known except for the tick. Mine was still round and hanging on the cam, but I did have that same half circle worn in the side of mine. That comes from rubbing on one of the lifters for a long time.
Surprisingly, I never had oil pressure issues at all. I only found it when I had the valley pan out doing head gaskets.

Old 12-17-2015, 06:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

chewed that up and spit it right out, wow

Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think we are starting to see a chronic problem with walked cam bearings on later model engines. Here are a couple of pictures of mine. The first shows the walked bearing. If you look close enough, you can see the "puzzle piece" indicating that this is a two-piece bearing. The second shows the lifter chewing into the side of the bearing. This is bearing #4 *(counting from the front to the back) on a 2004.

I have parked my Disco for fear of having a catastrophic failure when that bearing does work itself all the way out. My oil light is currently not on.

I am still trying to figure out how to get this fixed. I have talked to a couple local Rover shops and they both recommend putting in a rebuilt engine to the tune of $10k, which doesn't make sense to me as the vehicle would be worth $5k once that replacement is done. It seems like the right way to fix it would be to pull the engine and do a top-end rebuild. This would be beyond my capabilities right now.

I am interested to hear what other people have done to fix this problem.

Attached Thumbnails Camshaft bearings 04 SE7-dscn8651s.jpg   Camshaft bearings 04 SE7-dscn8670s.jpg  
Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I stand corrected.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

there is at least one member who has replaced his cam bearing in the truck, i remember giving him credit for that not easy.

my fear is that your oil light is not ON, so what does that mean?

1. the bearing shell is still covering the oil gallery or 2. did it spin so badly that is closed the oil gallery in the block?
because you should have an oil pressure problem

The following users liked this post:
jafir (12-17-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 09:35 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
because you should have an oil pressure problem
I agree with that. It doesn't make sense that it is operating fine.

Was there any noise at all when this happened? What made you drop the pan to look around?

Old 12-17-2015, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Wow. I also stand corrected.

Old 12-17-2015, 11:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A little more background on my situation...

In March, my oil light did flicker at hot idle. I opened up the front cover and replaced my oil gears that were cracked. After putting it back together, the oil light still flickered at hot idle. I then dropped the oil pan and replaced the main and crank bearings. I did not know about being able to see the cam bearings from below at that time, so I did not inspect them. Still no improvement. I then replaced the oil sensor and then the oil light stopped coming on. In the beginning, I did check my pressure with a manual gauge, and did verify 7-8ish pounds at hot idle. The new oil sensor must be a little more liberal than then one that I replaced. So yes, I think I still have a oil pressure issue at hot idle.

I dropped my oil pan because I had a moderate oil leak from it (probably didn't add enough RTV at the rear of the pan per the RAVE manual). Coincidentally, I saw another post about a walked cam bearing while I had the pan off. So I inspected the bearings and found the problem.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... if anyone has replaced camshaft bearings them self and knows what it takes to replace them please let me know.
Thanks
Another unrelated question, can you run 37" tires on a rrc? Will the engine be able to handle it? Considering a new project and want to know if it is possible.

Old 12-17-2015, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Would Be Tempted

Hope I never see this on mine. If bearing already out as this one and working space from bottoms allows it may be possible to pull cam and just try installing that one replacement bearing for now.

Quick Reply: Camshaft bearings 04 SE7