Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft and Lifters replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Camshaft and Lifters replacement

Now that I've eliminated the lower deep thud knock, by replacing the main bearings, I want to see what effect changing out the camshaft and lifters will have on the diesel sounding very slight top end tick. I'll check out and replace anything rocker arm related once I'm in there but have one question about the camshaft.

Can I remove the camshaft without removing the radiator? I've measured and it seems close, just wonder if anyone has done this with the engine in the car.

Thanks.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

remove the radiator and I believe you have to loosen the condenser and turn it side ways.

check with Savannah I believe he said he had found complete rocker shaft assembly's fairly inexpensive.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
remove the radiator and I believe you have to loosen the condenser and turn it side ways.

check with Savannah I believe he said he had found complete rocker shaft assembly's fairly inexpensive.
Now it's coming back to me. There was a recent thread about this, I'll try and find it (and I think the OP caused a leak in the condenser by twisting it too much).

About prices, whats the deal? They are all over the place and differ immensely from website to website?

Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

If you are going to do a cam, consider a Crowler 229 cam. It will give you some more low end power.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Don't go buy any old cheap cam and lifters, you could land up with a piece of junk.
Might start by talking to the guys at D&D Fabrication.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Don't go buy any old cheap cam and lifters, you could land up with a piece of junk.
Might start by talking to the guys at D&D Fabrication.
Does D&D do anything to the Crower Cam other than machine the shoulder to fit in the retaining plate on the Bosch V8? Because if not, is there any harm in just omitting that plate? The new chain will keep everything in line while running. D&D is sort of a tough pill to swallow when they'll only sell you a $500+ cam kit (from what I was told when I did this to my LWB), when you can order the same from Crower directly and pay less than half...

Old 07-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

It was not I that found cheaper rocker arm assemblies, but some one posted about like $135 from AllMakes on a direct internet order, not via a regular distributor. You cam exam rockers and shaft without removing valley pan, just 4 bolts. hold the assembly down.

If you are going to change lifters and cam, if mushroomed they may not pull up and out, but instead drop out the bottom once cam is out. You can rubber band them together to hold them while moving cam.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Do not by an All Makes valve train set up, many reports of bad fits poor finish work, like Parts made in China.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I just bought and installed Alllmakes rocker shafts and arms from Quality Land Rover Parts Spares and Accessories Online ($155 shipped). I paid by Paypal and the receipt said Allmakes, Ltd.

I did not have any problem with them and they did resolve my ticking noise.

Another option for a cam would be a Kent H180: Kent Cams - Product - Camshaft / Camshaft / H180. However you would have to get it form the UK and its expensive £204.00 from Turner Engineering

Here are the specs for the 229. Buick Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft - Camshafts

Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Racer X
Does D&D do anything to the Crower Cam other than machine the shoulder to fit in the retaining plate on the Bosch V8? Because if not, is there any harm in just omitting that plate? The new chain will keep everything in line while running. D&D is sort of a tough pill to swallow when they'll only sell you a $500+ cam kit (from what I was told when I did this to my LWB), when you can order the same from Crower directly and pay less than half...
According to turner you can install it w/o modifications.

Turner Engineering states this on their page for the Crower 229: Can be used on engines equiped with cam retaining plate if discarded or machine the cam nose to accept cam retaining plate.

You can get the 229 for a around $155 (Summit, Jegs Amazon)

Quick Reply: Camshaft and Lifters replacement