Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone confirm?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone confirm?

I have been battling an ignition problem for a few weeks now. Thru some research I have come to believe the alarm ECU is done for. Hope someone can confirm this thought.....Mike?

Symptoms:
*No check engine light in any key position
*alarm and alarm light quit
*door locks also quit

-Turns over fine
-Battery charge is great
-Fuel psi great
-No blown fuses
-Back of fuse box clean
-All relays either replaced or checked ok (all I am aware of which there are a ton)
-No "spider" installed (after a dash teardown)
-Losing my mind [sm=headbang.gif]

[sm=smiley35.gif] Deep breath!
But it looks NICE!! [sm=bling.gif]

I heard these functions/problems are ususlly associated somehow/functions of the ECU. The absence of the check engine light is an indication the ECU is not communicating with the ECM, also inhibiting ignition.

Any truth to these statements??

All above happened at the same time as a result of a water leak. Although it was not 10' of water(yet) I understand these things are sensitive to water. I bet it is more sensitive to 12guage buckshot![>:]

Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM
Mudding
Default RE: Can anyone confirm?

Also, anyone know any other programs that can sync the ecu to the vehicle other than testbook or autologic? I heard someone say thereare other rover programs...t4 and roversomethingoranother...

Old 09-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Mudding

Hi Guy, If you dont have a check engine light in the key on (bulb check) position and this car has GEMS fuel injection, you need your dealer to preform an F-OUT option. Using TEST BOOK and a special little black box, it relearns the security in the GEMS ECU.
Not avail from any other system as far as I know. Your dealer needs someone to go back in service bullitins to find the procedure and if they dont own a black box they can possibly get LRNA to loan one to them. it takes about 2 hours .
Did you try using your key in the drivers door to set-unlock the doors, if the alarm remote fails , the key can arm-disarm the alarm.
dont replace any ECU's

Old 09-13-2007, 07:47 PM
Mudding

How do I know if it is a GEMS vehicle, and what is the difference. Ecu reads AMR 4885 I think manufactured by Lucas.

The CEL did work before the water leak/subsequent start problem. This is how it all started. I was trying to reset the CEL with the emission maint. reminder (too dumb to get a scantool) and had the bundle of relays etc. down in the floorboard. Rained like heck the month I was gone so I came back to a fist-full of bad relays and emm maint rem (ironic). Now, the truck won't start and door locks, alarm light are all inop.
Some reference has been made to the whole ecu issue. I disconnected the batt. and had a look inside the ecu. Beautiful and clean. No apparent visual damage to the unit, but no way to test. I read somewhere that the absence of the CEL indicates the ECU is not communicating with the ECM.[sm=icon_quiet.gif] All the present conditions, and the info available leads me to the ecu. I have checked the condition of the wire harness etc, fuses, fuse box, batt, got fuel and starter.......Should I try to zap my current ecu with testbook first or when there done there done?

EKA code correct (not the stereo deal) and no luck, in fact does absolutely nothing.

Any other ideas? Love the help!!! Thanks

Old 09-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

97, I'm sure it's GEMS. Rectangular intake with 4.0 stamped on it? the other is a Bosch and will have a mess of tubes for the intake.

For future info...The Emissions reminder will not turn off the CEL. It is for the service engine soon light on the right side of the dash. You can re-set it by pushing a paper clip through a hole under the land rover sticker.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Mudding

Thanks, Gems...
The CEL did go out for about 10 miles when I tried the emmission reminder thing. The or both red service engine lights were still on. [:@] I would be happy for all the damn lights to be illuminated at this point if I could figure this thing out...Needa towtruck smiley....