Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can engine be TOO COLD to change plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can engine be TOO COLD to change plugs???

Going to change plugs today. Truck has not run today so it will be damn cold. Outside air temp is 15 degrees. Should I warm it up a little? Can monitor temp with UG.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

As long as you can stand the cold, the plugs & engine don't care.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Mudding

Thanks Tom. Plugs changed. SAI is stupid and in the way...Beer got a little slushy.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by floundering
Beer got a little slushy.
Man that sucks! That's stupid cold to be working on a car...

Old 02-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"floundering" in Michigan,
Don't you guys in Michigan plan ahead at all? I was born and raised in Montana; with those winters, I learned early in life to plan ahead. Now, plugs don't wear out overnight, so a guy can plan ahead, and change them in the nice heat of the summer, so he doesn't have to do it in the dead of winter. Slow learners in Montana, after they overlooked doing what needed doing in the summer, and did it in the winter, finally learned the hard way, and did it the easier way for the rest of their days.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:09 PM
Mudding

And in between changing plugs I had to check the grill to make sure to burgers were just right!!!

Some of us in Michigan have to prove our winter toughness through pure stupidity. EarlyRover, It feels like this winter started back in June so I was screwed either way.

And just for fun, I'm changing the oil this evening, or I might plan ahead and do it tomorrow.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Man that sucks! That's stupid cold to be working on a car...
When I lived in Vermont I had to rebuild the rear brakes on a 109 one winter. I could work about 5 minutes, then had to take the tools in the house and lay them on the radiator to warm up before I could do any more work. After 5 min my tools and hands were so cold I had to look at a wrench in my hand to see if I was actually holding it.
Bloody cold job.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
When I lived in Vermont I had to rebuild the rear brakes on a 109 one winter. I could work about 5 minutes, then had to take the tools in the house and lay them on the radiator to warm up before I could do any more work. After 5 min my tools and hands were so cold I had to look at a wrench in my hand to see if I was actually holding it.
Bloody cold job.
I'd be afraid of my skin sticking to the tools. And, by all means, DON'T lick the wrenches!

Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

"Some of us in Michigan have to prove our winter toughness through pure stupidity. EarlyRover, It feels like this winter started back in June so I was screwed either way."

Knuckle draggers in Montana, where I started life, do the same thing, usually loggers. Once I knew a logger on work site, who had his shirt opened up to show his hairy chest to the world, with temperatures in morning in the 20s, with cold rain running down his chest, brag that he was tough enough to take it. That is pure stupidity; un-human. Now, not sure why, but I never had that kind of craving for being macho man, thank you. Guys like that belong on mars or someplace like that---LOL. Come on, now, you don't expect me to believe that your temperatures were same in June, as they are now in Feb., do you? Can't you guys in Michigan read a thermometer; if you don't, don't you watch weather report trends from one month to another? Maybe Michigan is way more backward than even I thought?

Old 02-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Mudding

Knuckle draggin' Montana logger...thanks for the kind words.

Weather forecasting is for amateurs, meteorologists in northern Michigan can post-cast like no other. Below is my weather station.

Attached Thumbnails Can engine be TOO COLD to change plugs???-weather_forecast-img-1255.jpg