Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I drive without the ACE filled up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Can I drive without the ACE filled up?

I have been reading through things, and from what I can tell if the system is without fluid and the dash light is yellow, the system just will not operate. I'm figuring no damage will be done, but that is what and why I'm asking.
I had to noticed it, but I guess the bottom line that runs along the frame from drivers side to pass was cut. It finally gave way today, luckily after a long trip. I'm going to order the hose tomorrow, but figure it will take at least a few days, and in addition, I will have to drive it to work on it.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I think you will toast the pump if you drive like that with no fluid. You could purchase a serpantine belt for one without ACE, so the pump is bypassed, and pull the fuse so commands don't try to operate valves, etc.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I actually have a non-ace belt, but was trying to figure out if that would work or not without rubbing on the pump. I just check AB and don't see the part. I think it is number 4. On the ace diagram. Not a pressure hose, so I wonder if I could patch it for now somehow. Any hose repair you know of? Land Rover Discovery II Front Axle Suspension Parts Available from RoversNorth.com

Old 04-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

If low low pressure, something like this?

But high side pressure is like 1950 PSI, so "low" side may still be too high for home brew fix. Local hydraulic hose shop can make up for you. There were posts back a few weeks about a guy that had to make a long trip to bring D2 back home with ACE pump system leaking, and the smaller belt was one of the fixes.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I'm having a hard time with the RAVE diagram vs the truck. Hard to tell if it is number 4 or 6. Also, it was just the yellow light, no red. I'm wondering if it is a return line of there is still fluid locked in the system as it goes to the locked fail safe, and not the floppy.
This one appears to go up and over to the passenger side where it meets up with the other lines in a group of 4. It appears to have a compression fitting where you could take it off there. Im thinking it is the "pressure pipe" (6) listed in the diagram on the left and the "to pump" (5) in the one on the left.
So, anyone run the ace with the non ace belt? Any thoughts?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure there was a recent post from a guy wanting to drve like that, DM and others commented, driving with belt off was OK, and much better than driving dry pump. But he was just leaking a little, and ended up driving while spraying. See https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...highlight=1900.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-13-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Do not drive without fluid, if you can't hold fluid, then by-pass the pump and pull the fuse.
If you have any questions, PM me your number and I'll call you.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Do not drive without fluid, if you can't hold fluid, then by-pass the pump and pull the fuse.
If you have any questions, PM me your number and I'll call you.
I might take you up on the call later, but for now, with the bypass you mean running the non-ACE belt and pulling the fuse, right?