Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can one person change PS fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012 | 10:34 AM
Team Owner

If you run the pump dry the bearings will wear out faster.
There is another way if you have no friends or cannot rent one off of Craig's List.
Remove the fuel pump fuse, remove the power steering hose like already said.
Crank the engine over for 5 sec.
Refill system.
Repeat.
The engine will not start with the fuel pump fuse removed and using the starter only will still pump out the power steering fluid.
Once done put the fuel pump fuse back.

Old 02-19-2012 | 04:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by KBW
So just shoot out ps fluid all in the engine bay? Maybe I'm not following you. Guess I need to buy some more I only have two quarts (bought all of the 60K service stuff even though I did it 19K ago at 60 but It has been almost two years so I'm doing it all again.

Mike I'm out of town from tomorrow morning until Weds but I'll shoot you my number then. Might not be my steering pump but there's a noise when I'm either stopped or moving slowly and turn the wheel a good bit. Had the tires changed yesterday and they said they lubed everything underneath (I'm going to grease the ds again myself Tuesday just to be safe...checked it the last time a shop said they did it and it wasn't done). I changed the brakes/fluid, oil, tran fluid, gear oil, flushed coolant/new t-stat, and plugs today. Took about 7 hours and now my neck is strained but I felt like getting it all done before my drive in the morning.

Can I just knock some of the dust etc off my air filter before the drive? I ordered a filter and new belt but it'll be here sometime next week.

To add switching from T6 to Mobil 1 definitely made a difference in the engine not making as much noise. T6 was the worst oil as far as noise I've ever used and only kept it in for 1500 miles because of that.
Are you serious? Instead of letting it spray all over the place stick the hose you pulled off in your mouth and start it. If you cant figure out that you should stick the hose in a bucket before you start it, maybe you shouldn't be working on your car.