Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Rocker Shaft Assemblies be mixed between L&R cylinder heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can Rocker Shaft Assemblies be mixed between L&R cylinder heads?

I was thinking about something I did on my engine rebuild and its got me questioning myself. I had my heads apart and my rocker shaft assemblies off of the heads of course.

I did not mark the left and right side assemblies upon removal and my questions is does it really matter what side the rocker shaft assemblies go back on or is it even possible to switch sides? I've got 1000 miles on the rig since rebuild and all looks good except a leak which appears to be coming out the rear main. I would think if something wasn't right I'd hear some nasty noises by know.

RAVE's explanaintion of the assemblies is not very good so any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

They are all the same parts so don't worry about the parts.
As for the leak, are you sure your rear main is leaking, have you power scrubbed the engine to verify the leak? There is a pretty good sealer I would use to stop the leak, before trying to replace it called White Shepherd rear main sealer.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Also, RAVE has workshop manual and overhaul manual (in the pdf\general file) - overhaul has more details sometimes.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

While the parts are the same when new, wearing parts get wear patterns unique to them, so it's standard practice when reusing parts to always put them back in the same location. For some things, like bearings, it's mandatory.
That said, since you have it back together and don't know which is which anyway, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Just consider it a lesson learned to always tag/mark parts as to location and also replace them in the same orientation if it applies, for instance, piston assemblies.

Last edited by antichrist; 10-10-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
They are all the same parts so don't worry about the parts.
As for the leak, are you sure your rear main is leaking, have you power scrubbed the engine to verify the leak? There is a pretty good sealer I would use to stop the leak, before trying to replace it called White Shepherd rear main sealer.

Yes I'm sure its the rear main that is leaking. I used Permatex Ultra black RTV when installing the #5 Bearing cap at the points that it calls out in the manual. I would think that even if you didn't use any RTV the rear main seal should seal this area from leakage. Now I must admit when I was installing the seal I did at first install it cocked and tried to get it straight by using a drift and hammer so I didn't have to remove it. After a few wacks with no movement I did pull it apart to do it correctly. The seal appeared to be in very good condition so I went on. I'm guessing I must have caused a void in the seal. I'll look into White Sheperd and maybe give it a try.