LR2 Talk about the Land Rover LR2 within.

Tires for mixed driving

Old 05-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for mixed driving

I have 2008 LR2 with factory Continentals and they have 60K miles on them. Per the LR at my last service I have about another 2 months on them. With rotating them every 5K miles and hwy driving, they have worn perfectly as most people only get 40K out of the factory tires.

Looking for something that will used for 90% HWY and 10% light trails. Any thoughts? I will purchase something with 50K warranty.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2013, 02:19 PM
3rd Gear

i just put BFgoodrich Rugged Terrains on my Tundra and I love them. They have a 50k mile warranty.....

Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hankook

Did research for 6-7 months before finally settling on Hankook Ventus AS from sears. They come in the correct size if you need 19" and they handled snow, slush, and off-road much better than the OEM tires.

Here is a forum that has a lot of good info: https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...s-50593/page3/

I've had them for several months and will definitely buy them again unless something new/better in the correct 19" size comes along for a better price.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Three Wheeling

I have the 18 inch wheels, im sure they make them for 18...

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Winching
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a 2008 LR2 and I just replaced my second set of Conti's with Toyo Versado CUV 235/55R19 105V. I'm a street driver, so a crossover tire is fine for me. At 90% highway driving, you sound like you're also a street driver, not really a mixed use driver.

My experience with tires is that tire life has less to do with the brand of tires and more to do with uneven tread wear resulting from your wheel alignment, especially if you stay with mainstream tires from the major brands. Tire alignments vary in quality just like any other auto service, so your second big decision after the choice of tires is your choice of who does your alignment.

A good alignment technician will align to the midpoint of the spec range so any bump in the road that moves your alignment slightly will not knock you out of range. A bad tech might not bother to adjust your alignment if your initial setting is at either end of the range but still within spec. They can get away with this because how many customers do you think actually read the alignment report and know what to look for?

And a good tech will tighten nuts to torque spec, while a lazy tech may only tighten to "feel". You need to have confidence in your tech because there is really no way to verify something like this.

I would always get an alignment with a new set of tires. Modern tires are marvels of engineering that are just too expensive to risk ruining from the start if your wheels are out of alignment. So I buy my tires and have my wheels aligned at the same time.

Who does the best alignments? That's not easy to answer and is a matter of judgement. Some say the dealer has alignment equipment that works best for their brand of vehicle, and that might be true in some cases. But I think that a tire store that does alignments all day long is more likely to have techs that specialize in alignments and will do it better than the dealer which is busy with a lot of other engine and mechanical work. And I can tell you from experience, that a tire store is more friendly when you return later to have a small job done like a flat repair, while the dealer likes service orders that are much larger and doesn't want to be bothered with such things.