Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you identify this Disco II?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Can you identify this Disco II?

Hello all, I recently picked up a 2000 Disco II that had been rolled. It has some characteristics that are not like my other three, and I was wondering if I could have some help IDing this Rover. Here are the peculiar features:

1) Rims that I have not seen before. They look like the factory option "Lightning" style rims. Is this true?
2) SD model that has dual sunroofs. Also marked "Special Vehicles" on front wings. (dealer labeled over slightly)
3) Non-premium sound system. I've seen examples in the manual of this. Has one less speaker on each front door and the subwoofer is replaced by another rear-door pocket.
4) Cloth interior
5) Light-colored seat. (Alpaca?) White exterior (Chawton White?)
6) VIN starts with SALTL, not the SALTY that other models have

Is this a NAS model or an import? I thought all NAS models had different door panels (most with wood trim), premium sound, SALTY VINs, and the SD models didn't have sunroofs. Any input would be great! Thanks so much.

Attached Thumbnails Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7283.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7285.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7287.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7286.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7288.jpg  

Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7290.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7293.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7300.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7296.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7295.jpg  

Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7301.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7302.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7278.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

If its any help. Mine is SALTL. S. Sunroofs. 04. Seats look light to be standard alpaca. But then Ive only ever seen alpaca and black.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

other than the $4 special vehicle sticker it looks like a reg. SD.
base radio, base interior, cloth/vinyl, the only thing unusual is the roofs.
i have one of those wheels as a spare I forget what they were called

Old 12-16-2014, 10:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Looks standard to me, hope you got it for a song!

Sunroofs are potentially a dealer added item like the Hunter RRCs used to have.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

special vehicle sticker....???
supercharger under the hood??

Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Just a regular old D2.

The wheels are called "Stratos"

FWIW, I own 2 SD's with sunroofs.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Thanks, more info to ponder?

Thanks everyone so far,

I've only seen Alpaca used with black (think 03-04 HSE models, right?)… anybody know something for sure about the interior? Is there another light color that it could be? It's most certainly lighter than my tan with dark piping that you see in most Discos.

Under the hood (now that I pried it open again to take a picture) is standard with a few typical mods. (Like that cone to suck water directly into the intake while wading... ) But please note the Service Campaign tags… anybody know about these? Dealer stuff, or event company promo/usage stuff?

Responding to the various contributors:
So SD means nothing in relation to sunroofs. Thanks for SD owners confirming that. The rims are Stratos, thanks WNYErikDiscoII, and the VIN means little to nothing, thanks capped. drowssap tells me that all the radio/cloth and stuff is nothing special too. ZGPhoto, I picked it up for about scrap value. And since I drove it home without any problems (aside from the very effective air conditioning), I think this is one of my better buys. I'm going to use almost all the parts, but if you're in the upstate New York area, PM if there is something you want.

Attached Thumbnails Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7305.jpg   Can you identify this Disco II?-img_7304.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Service Campaign tags… is LR for recall

The following users liked this post:
dusty1 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I wanted to know about those little tags also. they are on every d2, I've had.i figured recall junk, but wasn't sure

Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Recall & Misc

Originally Posted by drowssap
Service Campaign tags… is LR for recall
So should I be thankful or worried that none of my other Rovers have these tags? Thanks for clearing that up though. I wonder what was recalled. I guess the "Special Vehicle" tags are really just a used car sales tool.

If anybody knows for sure about the Alpaca, let me know.

One additional thing, how bad do you think the frame is considering the roll over? I know there is no absolute answer, but is there anyplace that is likely to bend? I was thinking of scooting this frame under another body...

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Quick Reply: Can you identify this Disco II?