Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't locate mild vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 04:57 PM
TReK
Received 652 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
Thanks for the explanation, that's more than reason enough for me to check it out. In your case, this caused similar vibrations? Most people don't even pick up on mine unless I point it out
Yes, very similar vibrations. And I understand what you mean, this is not a shake/vibration that will knock the fillings out of your teeth. Like a front end "death wobble". I mention certain things when driving a car and my friends say "WTF, how do you feel/hear that?!"

I gave you the example of the X5 because it's just the most recent. It was a friends and he was 100% sure wheel bearing. Not so much. But I've had this happen with LR brakes(of all years) many times. Last month a friend replaced a rotoflex (proper GKN) and the U joint in a DI... still had a vibration. Drove him mental, and it was the left rear caliper inner piston that was stuck. R&R'd the caliper, rotor, and pads and problem solved.
Is the solution always the brakes/claipers.....NO. It's just one good/easy place to start the elimination. Post a pic if you need to get some opinions of what you are looking at. GTG... you'll get it sorted, Good Luck!

Last edited by OverRover; 07-15-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:45 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

I have just Googled the vibes problem. It appears a common D2 issue, there are pages and pages of potential causes in multiple forums it would appear and no-one seems to have resolved this problem satisfactorily. Many have spent fortunes on balancing, tracking, tires, tire pressures, driveshafts, wheel bearings etc, etc including Panhard and steering shock bushes and invariably without any success. It seems a complete mystery as to the causes of the dreaded vibes in most, if not all, cases. I think that maybe Landrover UK itself is the only final resolution to this mystery. I'll try writing an e-mail to them, but don't hold your breath as they aren't renowned for their helpfulness.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This may sound pretty stupid and may be way out there but at 25 and again at 65 what are your rpms? are they in the same range?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Alright, I just experienced a very odd phenomena.

Backing out of my driveway to leave for work, I bumped the curb on the other side of the street. Just hard enough to kindof make my head bob against the head rest,

The next mile of driving to the gas station was the smoothest mile I've ever felt in this disco. Little to no vibration at all, at any speed (only hit about 50).

But, as soon as I hopped back in and left the gas station, vibration was back to normal. Wtf is going on?

​​​​​
​​​​

Old 07-18-2017, 03:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,160 Likes on 836 Posts

Had a vibration on my wife's 03 that was driving me crazy, would come and go at first, but finally stuck around for good. Ended up being the right rear caliper. I'd done the brakes not long before it appeared, and all calipers pushed in smoothly...so I keep looking in different areas. Had it jacked up to check rear hubs (which didn't seem lIke the issue solver)...and couldn't turn the wheel. New caliper solved the issue.

You may have hit the curb hard enough that it flexed the rotor, pushing the caliper cup in temporarily.

Brian.

Old 07-18-2017, 03:36 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

There you go, now you have 2 options. Check your rear brakes or hit the curb each time you leave. 2nd option, you need to upgrade your headrest. Lol

Old 07-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

well i know what im doing tonight after Krav Maga, gettin this black POS up in the air and checkin out the brakes lol. thanks yal, will report back with my findings.

btw, can i pinch the brake line and pull the pistons out of the calipers, for the purposes of resurfacing them? or am i in danger of damaging the seal in the process?

i ask because i would like to avoid buying calipers if a DIY fix is a possibility.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Thanks to all you guys, I've lived with the vibes for a couple of years now and it may be sorted with your help. Fortunately I have a completely new set of original equipment for all 4# corners to install, calipers, carriers, rotors, s/s hoses and pads. Looks like I'm gonna be busy Everything except the rotors and pads are original whereas the Bearmach rotors are drilled and grooved.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:26 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
well i know what im doing tonight after Krav Maga, gettin this black POS up in the air and checkin out the brakes lol. thanks yal, will report back with my findings.

btw, can i pinch the brake line and pull the pistons out of the calipers, for the purposes of resurfacing them? or am i in danger of damaging the seal in the process?

i ask because i would like to avoid buying calipers if a DIY fix is a possibility.
yah, you can do that. The hardest part, if piston stuck you have to yank it hard to get out. There are seal kits you can get. I tried but mine was completely stuck and got new. The rear get damaged a lot because its use is minimal than the front. I found the vibration by accident when i replaced all rotors and pads. They are great in stopping and got it on ebay for 136 for all 4 sets including shipping. Now its only $119.00

Old 07-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Back to the drawing board fellas, brakes are in fantastic shape. Greased the pins and pad plates for good measure but everything is wearing strait and even. Rear rotors and all pads look basically new.

are the rear output yoke nuts known for loosening up like the fronts? My rear shaft on the transfer case side did appear to have a slight wobble to it. I started it up and put it in gear too check for any oddities and that's the only think I could see that might be out of wack.

​​​​​

Last edited by KingKoopa; 07-19-2017 at 02:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't locate mild vibration!