Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
MAN! That video reminded me of claymation/wahetever cartoons when I was a kid--that's all we had. David and Goliath (the dog). I am still haunted by their seemingly/really clay eyebrows moving around. Then my parent let me watch the exorcist and I had something new to worry about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfTwJQmvk0U

Very cool how the cursed part seems to spin itself at the end.

How is it now?
LOL ..."the attack of the cursed pipe" ...the heater return pipe situation is on hold since I'm getting ready to reassemble all that was taken out during the waiting period, so hopefully sometime between saturday and sunday that pipe will go back in and hopefully sealed tight, thus stopping the leak that started this fun adventure, but we are not out of the woods yet.

Meanwhile, I posted a new thread about the cleaning situation that it's taking place.

Thanks for your knowledge and support CHARLIE_V! ;-]#

Old 06-03-2016, 09:24 PM
Winching

...back to the coil pack situation; managed to get it out and took a couple of more pics for you guys to see.

I do not see in the area where it resides, holes that would align with the ones in the bracket, the ones I see are way far out to the left and right of the bracket, makes me think that either I'm missing a part, or even the bracket itself isn't for this Landy.

The packs are fastened by a pair of bolts and a pair of tie wraps to the bracket (I'll get one of those bolts out to get the other six, and fasten it how it is suppose to); but still I don't see where to fasten the bracket that wholes both packs to the engine, any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some-20160603_193123_rev1.jpg   CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some-20160603_193729_rev1.jpg  
Old 06-04-2016, 02:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...back to the coil pack situation; managed to get it out and took a couple of more pics for you guys to see.

I do not see in the area where it resides, holes that would align with the ones in the bracket, the ones I see are way far out to the left and right of the bracket, makes me think that either I'm missing a part, or even the bracket itself isn't for this Landy.

The packs are fastened by a pair of bolts and a pair of tie wraps to the bracket (I'll get one of those bolts out to get the other six, and fasten it how it is suppose to); but still I don't see where to fasten the bracket that wholes both packs to the engine, any ideas?
The gas line shouldn't be wet. Does it smell like gas? That green rubber just covers the compression fitting. You can release the compression fitting by squeezing the black squares.

The picture of the coil is upside down. The narrower holes go over holes on the upper intake.

<br >

The lower holes aren't quite in your picture and go over holes in the lower intake. Here's one of them:

<br >

That's the right bracket but it maybe you are missing the lower holes...?

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-04-2016 at 02:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Winching

The gas line shouldn't be wet. Does it smell like gas? That green rubber just covers the compression fitting. You can release the compression fitting by squeezing the black squares.

The picture of the coil is upside down. The narrower holes go over holes on the upper intake.

<br >

The lower holes aren't quite in your picture and go over holes in the lower intake. Here's one of them:

<br >

That's the right bracket but it maybe you are missing the lower holes...?
...thanks CHARLIE_V, I'll flip it and compare. As per the lower holes you mentioned, they are there in the lower intake (if you look at the pic I posted showing the wet area by the gas line, you'll see, just below the yellow text in the bottom, the side of that hole you indicated in your pic), but just seemed too far to the left and right to me, that I did not see anything in the bracket to align to them to, but will recheck and get back. The pack was in as shown in the pic, but when I'll flip the bracket, I should flip just the bracket, not each coil pack, right? or either pack may go LH or RH?

As per any gas odor, no, nothing at all; so I'm hoping it is remains of old coolant that was pushed back from the heater return pipe leak, since I see some green in the mix, and oil overtime, that have soaked what I think is like a felt shield down there? I'll try to get a white paper towel there and soak it to see the colors and sniff it up close, but no gas odor at first sniff from what I recall. Releasing the compression fitting will spew gas? I'm hoping you were just enlightening me about it, and actually not wanting me to release it, don't see the need now, unless to check it is well connected and not leaking from it.
---
I stand corrected, just checked the bracket and do see the holes that align to the ones in manifold, as you said CHARLIE_V, it was flipped; gotta figure out the height of those bolts to get a set, thanks. ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-04-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy

If you don't smell gas then it's just coolant from your epic struggle. It tends to settle at the back of the valley gasket, right where yours is wet.

Arrows show the mount points.

<br >

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-04-2016 at 02:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
...thanks Charlie_V, you really went that extra mile there, greatly appreciated! ...btw, when you wrote "I would get longer ones", did you mean the 1.25's or a bit longer?

All these "coil pack" info is very valuable, since this is one of those "hard to reach" and "pain in the ***" things to take care off on its own, reason why I'm taking advantage of all the unwanted -but best decision ever disassembling I've done so far!

The coil pack issue really isn't an issue.

1/4 inch rachet, 1/4 inch extension. 1/4 inch socket. Take off the clips that help hold in the wiring harness. Push the harness out the way as best as possible.

Put a dab of grease on the socket, unscrew the bolt.
the grease will hold the bolt into the socket.
Repeat.
All four bolts are out.
If youre taking the intake off etc, then there's a clamp that wraps around the fuel line.
A LONG screw driver will reach that clamp and unclip it.

Idk why everyone says the coil pack is a huge issue, I can get mine out in about 5 minutes...if I am just unbolting it, that's about a min and a half.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Camel Trophy

I can think of harder things than the coil pack but just about everyone considers them spawn of the devil because their first interaction is to try to change the wires without removing the coils.

Adolfo's heater pipe, for example. That was a crap sandwich.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 06-04-2016 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Winching

If you don't smell gas then it's just coolant from your epic struggle. It tends to settle at the back of the valley gasket, right where yours is wet.

Arrows show the mount points.

<br >
...thanks, it was flipped as you said and once flipped and looking at your pictures I did see the side holes that aligned to the engine. Got some bolts at Lowe's and got it fastened, longer ones on the bottom sides to let it hang towards the cabin without falling, shorter ones for the top once upper intake gets installed, and completed the bolts to secure each coil pack, only had two bolts and two tie wraps! ...tomorrow I'll connect the wires and end of the story. BTW, soaked a paper towel and no gas odor in that yucky mix, so yes it might just have been coolant, oil and what not! ;-]#

Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
The coil pack issue really isn't an issue.

1/4 inch rachet, 1/4 inch extension. 1/4 inch socket. Take off the clips that help hold in the wiring harness. Push the harness out the way as best as possible.

Put a dab of grease on the socket, unscrew the bolt.
the grease will hold the bolt into the socket.
Repeat.
All four bolts are out.
If youre taking the intake off etc, then there's a clamp that wraps around the fuel line.
A LONG screw driver will reach that clamp and unclip it.

Idk why everyone says the coil pack is a huge issue, I can get mine out in about 5 minutes...if I am just unbolting it, that's about a min and a half.
thanks shanechevelle for your input!

I've had two encounters with it; my first without removing the intake, hands suffered, body position sucked, total hell; but got the job done, which was to replace the wires; also found out that the PO just left it there, resting on the bottom, unfastened, so I had no bolts to unbolt, but when I had to put it back in, I did my best then to try and secure it, but didn't do that great! ...this is my second encounter with it, and took advantage of having taken out the intake, indeed was faster and better accessible, although tried to get it out without unplugging the wires, bad waste of time decision since the AC pipes are in the way, so finally unplugged the wires and out the top it came; the reason why I took it out this time was to fasten it as it should, since I knew it wasn't and had to figure out the way, which I did with the help of CHARLIE_V; now is secured back in place and tomorrow I'll reinstall the wires; so "the coil pack situation" is almost solved... and definitely, the truly easiest way to access it, is by spending the necessary time getting the intake out; it is a fairly easy thing to do, will save you hard work, time and curses! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 06-05-2016 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Winching

I can think of harder things than the coil pack but just about everyone considers them spawn of the devil because their first interaction is to try to change the wires without removing the coils.

Adolfo's heater pipe, for example. That was a crap sandwich.
LOL ...definitely was, and I took a big bite out it, yikes!

As per the coil pack, definitely gotta take the time to get the intake out, it is not difficult and it will make your life easier, I've been there twice, with and without removing the intake, and I'll remove the intake from now on without hesitation! ;-]#

Quick Reply: CAN'T PULL OUT HEATER RETURN PIPE TO REPLACE "O" RING and then some