Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Hi All

I have a 1997 300tdi discovery which has 230 000km on the odo. I am thinking of removing the catalytic converter as i'm sure it is now old and probably blocking the exhaust gases from blowing out properly. Can i do without it by just connecting a straight pipe.

many thanks

Old 05-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: CATALYTIC CONVERTER

Where do you live?
Mike

Old 05-11-2007, 12:53 AM
Drifting

i live in South AFrica. There is no strict emmission control regulations.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Administrator

As long as there are no emission sensors attached to it or behind it then I would think this would help your exhaust flow better, if your cat is plugged. You can also run a few bottles of additive thru your fuel system which when taken out and driven hard, will clean up the cat also.
Mike

Old 06-14-2007, 02:50 PM
4wd Low

Will the additive work if I already know there are two holes?that a plugged up (according to mechanic).

We tried that...but I guess we are beyond that point...time to replace?

How much should we expect to pay for a new Cat for a 98 Discovery? Our repair told us the cost is 2k just for the Cat...plus 3 hours labor. Is that about right?

Old 06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

I have no idea what a diesel cat will sell for, but as far as the installation goes, something under an hour labor.
Mike

Old 06-14-2007, 05:36 PM
4wd Low

It's not a diesel...any idea of cost? What is your opinion of buying the "used" or "rebuilt" cats on the internet? From a parts dealer, not individual.

I guess maybe I should get a second opinion on the labor cost...3 vs 1 is a big difference.

This is one problem I'm not familiar with...I thought we had a case of bad gas.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Old 06-14-2007, 06:00 PM
Administrator

You can get good prices on new replacement cats on-line, like at, http://www.completeexhaust.com/produ...roducts_id=184.
Mike

Old 06-14-2007, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't recommend buying a used CAT (actually illegal in some places to install a used Cat), but instead would encourage you to have a qualified shop cut-off the old ones (you have two on the Y-pipe) and weld in a good quality hi-flow replacement unitas manufactured by Magnaflow(Carsounds), Catco, or D.E.C.

These manufacturers all make a "universal" style convertor, where you just have to match up the inlet and outlet pipe diameters (and offset--if required). Stay away from the cheap universal Cats you see listed on-line with no country of origin or brand name offered. The metal-substrate types flow much better than what was originally on your vehicle and will most likely give youbetter fuel mileage and a little better acceleration.

Ceramic substrate Cats (that will still flow better than O.E.)from these manufacturers can be bought for $50-75USD. Add your local labor charge for installation and you are good to go

Of course-- all I have said here does not apply to those readers living in California. Only Cats that meet the California certifications are legalas replacement units here.

regards,
Geoman
www.eurotekapg.com

Old 06-14-2007, 07:35 PM
4wd Low

Excellent. Thank you. I was thinking that $2500.00 was a little steep...not to mention unaffordable!

Quick Reply: CATALYTIC CONVERTER