Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catskill Park NY

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Catskill Park NY

Does anybody know anything about this place?
My wife and I will be taking a trip to Tafton PA at the end of June and I need something to do for a day or two while she meets her friends.
We will be arriving late on a Fri or early Sat, she will be busy until Sun then we might go to New York NY and see the Statue of Liberty or whatever else and then come home on Tues.
Looking at MapQuest this Catskill Park is only 96 miles from Tafton (so is NY NY) so any info would be great.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sullivan County N.Y., born and raised. Too bad I'm in FL right now otherwise I would LOVE to show you around. Well, depending on what you like to do, Roscoe, NY is considered the fly fishing capital of the world. Nicknamed "trouttown usa" the fly fishing on the Beaverkill or Willowwemoc is second to none. You can also fish, raft, camp, along the Delaware River which border PA/NY (Callicoon, Narrowsburg, Barryville). Like music? White Lake in the town of Bethel is home to the original Woodstock music and arts fair (yes, think Jimmy, Janis, & the Dead). Its now home to Bethel Woods performing arts center and I am sure they will have an awesome summer lineup. Great PGA courses at the Concord, Grossingers, and Villa Roma. The Catskill Mtn State park begins along the north side of Sullivan County where you can drive and get lost for days on "seasonal" roads that zig zag along the mountains with awesome views. make sure you take the Rover, these "seasonal" rds are not for the fainthearted. When I was growing up in the late 80's 90's, we never ran out of great wheelin' areas, alot of them were nieghbors farms but if you can get your hands on a Sullivan County NY map (the one put out by the chamber of commerce) the trails in the park should be marked with red ----.

Dude, I'm Jealous

http://www.catskillmountainclub.org/index.html

Last edited by nynole; 03-01-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add link
Old 03-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Team Owner

SWEET!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
I have explored that site alittle and I find maps but not the one that you speak of, can I only buy that one locally?
I have not Googled it yet.
I will also need a place to camp, I will be sleeping in the truck.
I am getting pretty stoked about this now that I have seen this site, my wife is starting to get jealous too.
It will be awesome!! No phone, no internet, just me and my Rover, the way God intended it to be.
If you have any other tips or pointers for me please send them my way.
You cna e-mail me, my address is in my profile.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:10 PM
Three Wheeling

I was looking at the listed web site. I'm new to off-roading and am curious to know wheer the trails in the catskills are. When you are out there are signs posted where you can and can't drive. I hate to drive up to the Catskills to find all I can drive on is a gravel road. I'm not looking for any thing too crazy, just enough to get her a bit dirty. I have been looking for a place around NYC and have only found the pine barrens in NJ. Any other recommendations?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Team Owner

You would hate to drive all the way out there?
I am going to be driving 800 miles one way!
Lets e-mail and maybe we can go explore it together.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Mudding

Here is a link to Vomaps. they seem to have it pretty detailed and they delineate between park lands and private property. From growing up there, I can tell you that most of those "local" roads that lead to the resevoirs, campsites, and hiking trailheads are not quite gravel rds. Some of them were a challenge in my CJ. You probably won't find any public 4-wheeling off road parks (we did our bogging and hill-climbing on friends private property). The scenery is beautiful, the air clean and fresh, and the fishing awesome. Bring your pole!

http://www.vomaps.com/catskill_map_01.html

http://www.vomaps.com

You might want to contact any LR, Jeep, or other group to in the area (NYC, Jersey, PA, etc) for more suggestions.

Last edited by nynole; 03-02-2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Team Owner

Thank you Walter, thank youi very much.
Any fish I eat says Gorton's on the box, but I do love the great outdoors.
I ordered a travel guide yesterday, my wife is getting jealous, she wants to go too.
Now we just need to find a babysitter.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rauche Offroad park in PA
http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org/

Big jeep place. Lot of places to Wheel in Jersey just not legally though.