Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL Installed! Now a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CDL Installed! Now a few questions...

Hey Guys,
I've finally installed my CDL! I got to test it out in the snow a little bit today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Cant wait to take it off road for real.

Ive got a couple questions about some of the lights that are coming on:

1.) When I disengage CDL the CDL light stays on for a couple minutes then goes off. Should it go off instantly or does it take a minute to go off??

2.) At one point the ABS and TC light came on... they went off after I disengaged CDL and turned the car off. I cant remember for sure, but does having CDL engaged disable the electronic TC?? Is that what causes the lights to come on? It may be normal, but I just want to make sure the lights arent telling my something important.

Thanks for any input!
To all you guys with 99-01 Disco's, you gotta have CDL! Its AWESOME.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes it is normal for the CDL light to stay on for a short while after you dis engage the CDL.
If you dis engage the CDL but dont drive it will stay on, you need to move the truck to dis enage the gears.
Sometimes you will need to drive in reverse to get the gears to release, this happens if they get bound up, like turning a corner and then dis engaging the CDL.

No the TC and ABS are not supposed to turn off, you can turn them off, I dont remember exactly but if I am right it is shift to CDL low, put transmission ini nuetral, turn off engine, wait a min, restart and you will then have turned off the TC and ABS.
But someone who knows better than me will chime in if I am wrong.

Congrats on the CDL Cam.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nothing to add on the lights, but wanted to say congrats too! Good to hear that you got it all installed!

Old 12-24-2009, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cut the wire to the SLABS feed from the difflock switch, and the TC will never turn off, dont matter if car of / on CDL in or out, cut and forget !!

Old 12-25-2009, 01:39 PM
4wd High

Question regarding your install. I have access to the CDL shifter from a 2004 disco, to go into my 2000 Disco. Should the shifter have two cables or one? Is this a direct swap or is there some mods needed? Any info would be great.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:14 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It should be a direct swap. All you should have is the linkage that connects to the CDL nipple. It should look about like this:

And thanks for all the replies from everyone else. It all makes more sense now. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Old 12-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle

That looks like an ashcroft lever to me

Old 12-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by borosilicate
Question regarding your install. I have access to the CDL shifter from a 2004 disco, to go into my 2000 Disco. Should the shifter have two cables or one? Is this a direct swap or is there some mods needed? Any info would be great.
You could also do this...AMV Discovery Series II Electronic Centre Diff Lock Actuator: http://www.amv.com.au/SeriesIIDifflock.htm

Just click a switch and go...about $600 to ship to US...next on my list of goodies.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle

The AMV setup is nice, but its downfall is its electric, and swimming the truck in muddy water will eventually take its toll on it, with the factory lever, its fit and forget.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 PM
Rock Crawling

To clarify: whether TC is enabled depends on the engagement of the CDL *when you first turn the car on*.

IIRC: If the CDL is on then, TC is disabled. If you engage the CDL *after* you start the car, you get both.

Quick Reply: CDL Installed! Now a few questions...