Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CDL Installed! Now a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer
The AMV setup is nice, but its downfall is its electric, and swimming the truck in muddy water will eventually take its toll on it, with the factory lever, its fit and forget.
Hey Urban...according to the website, they claim it is waterproof and mud proof.

Features

12 month unconditional guarantee.
Unit has been trialed under the harshest conditions.
Waterproof & impervious to Mud etc.
More flexibility in 4WD conditions.
Compatible with all Discoveries 1990-2001 & Classic Range Rovers 1985-1988.
Seamless Installation

Has anyone on this site ever installed and used one?

Old 12-26-2009, 01:45 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mwindth
Hey Urban...according to the website, they claim it is waterproof and mud proof.

Features

12 month unconditional guarantee.
Unit has been trialed under the harshest conditions.
Waterproof & impervious to Mud etc.
More flexibility in 4WD conditions.
Compatible with all Discoveries 1990-2001 & Classic Range Rovers 1985-1988.
Seamless Installation

Has anyone on this site ever installed and used one?
Im pretty sure Jycsalas installed the AMV version in his 2003. He has a write up on installing CDL on a 2003, im not sure it its for the electronic version or not....

Old 12-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Im pretty sure Jycsalas installed the AMV version in his 2003. He has a write up on installing CDL on a 2003, im not sure it its for the electronic version or not....
Hey Cam...I think you are correct...according to Jycsalas' write-up: "Many other DII owners and myself have this actuator. It basically is a switch controlled window motor anchored and secured to a custom base that fits over the nipple."

I wonder if Jycsalas is reading this? I know he was going to be "off the thread" for awhile...Jycsalas, are you out there? If so, have you put the AMV version through water and mud?

Old 12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes they do, but when it fails 2 years down the line (as I have read they do) will they replace it FOC...... ? I doubt it.

if its water and mud proof, should have a lifetime warranty then ? as the motor will not have a hard life except for the enviroment its in.

The system works, but its never going to be as full proof as the factory or Ashcroft setup imo.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey everyone. Just read the thread. Here is my $.02.

The AMV actuator I have had since April 2009 has worked flawlessly thus far. It does have it's draw backs since it is electrical like Urban said. However....

You need to get an actuator that will suit your "rovering" style. If you KNOW you will be encountering certain environments that may disable the system then that is a risk you should be willing to take. Disco Mike has had the same system for 7 years and only had to replace the relay once. Carry an extra relay just in case.

I really like mine. I have operated a DI, a DII 04, and the AMV. The AMV is by far the smoothest in terms of operation, clearly. Then comes the 04. then the DI.

It turns off when you want it, and turns on when you need it on. Like all the others, it does require you to roll forward or backwards to disengage the mechanism inside the t-case. That is normal.

I have operated it in floods and mud with no glitches. I have not however had it through water or mud levels as high as the top of the t-case where the device sits. We don't have areas like that to drive through. I often get under the rig an wipe everything down so I would say that could help it's longevity and operation.

It's all personal preference, and how much $$$ you want to spend on actuating your CDL. When I bought the AMV, it was only $50-$60 more than lucky 8 ashcroft cable.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jycsalas...2003Discovery#

Last edited by jycsalas; 12-27-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Mudding

Cameron, sorry if I may have already missed the answer - haven't been able to log in for a while. Which CDL kit did you purchase? Did you have to trim any sheet metal to get the CDL shift lever to install? Grats buddy on your new toy!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gilder
Cameron, sorry if I may have already missed the answer - haven't been able to log in for a while. Which CDL kit did you purchase? Did you have to trim any sheet metal to get the CDL shift lever to install? Grats buddy on your new toy!
Just replied to your PM, but to anyone else who may be interested in the kit you can find it here:

http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.asp?ProductID=2185

No sheet metal trimming, just a slight modification to the shifter plate to allow the lever to go right and left instead of just up and down.

Its an easy install for 99-01 DII's, and a little tougher for 02 DII's since the T-case has no nipple to connect the CDL lever.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:31 AM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gilder

Cameron
I glad you like the diff lock.

Gilder
Here is an install video for the CDL kit. It may help answer you questions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H92ea_clC6U