Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center console white smoke

I can't be any more frustrated with my disco 04. I definitely hate it.

After spending a small fortune replacing the head gasket the starter motor begin to act up. According to the mechanic the antifreeze from the leak of the head gaskets corroded the starter motor, so some times when I go to stat it up I get a like a click, click like the battery is drained.

So today when I went to pick up my kid from day care the car did not start, again with the click, click, I notice quite a bit white smoke coming out from the central console. Definitely something is burnt but I don't know what, windows work, heated seats don't know due to being summer in STL and very hot, electric seats work.

Please help, what can be burnt and is it worth it to look what can it be.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Plenty of things with connections, grounds, wiring headers, in the console. You'll need to open it up. The RAVE electrical circuits manauals and electrical library (pictures) are a great help. Worth it, yes. Possibility of vehicle fire and loss of vehicle, plus home if it is parked in garage.

Old 07-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Plenty of things with connections, grounds, wiring headers, in the console. You'll need to open it up. The RAVE electrical circuits manauals and electrical library (pictures) are a great help. Worth it, yes. Possibility of vehicle fire and loss of vehicle, plus home if it is parked in garage.
X2 There are a LOT of wires that run through there. You need to pull it up to find out what's going on.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:02 AM
Drifting

thank you for the help. The future of my disco is not looking good.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you have anything installed on the truck that did not come from the factory, like a different radio, GPS, lights, etc.; these are places where people cut corners on wiring and fuses.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:06 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

OH horse poo poo.

You have a bad ground. The ground circuit is going thru your hand brake cable to ground and smoking the cable.

You need to get the braided ground wire from the driver's head to the firewall installed.

Who ever did the heads figured - oh I will leave that wire off. Who needs it anyway. Wrong.

The battery grounds to the chassis. So, does the engine.
If the engine and transmission are not perfectly grounded, then the current when you start the engine will find creative ways to ground - like white smoke from the burning ebrake cable. Which can burn your hand too by the way.

The following users liked this post:
Zoelion454Discovery (06-20-2019)
Old 07-13-2013, 06:07 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Your heated seats are NOT going to work in the summer. Too hot and the hi limit temp is reached - so the seats remain off.
Wait until all the oranges freeze in the winter then try the seats.

Old 07-13-2013, 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
OH horse poo poo.

You have a bad ground. The ground circuit is going thru your hand brake cable to ground and smoking the cable.

You need to get the braided ground wire from the driver's head to the firewall installed.

Who ever did the heads figured - oh I will leave that wire off. Who needs it anyway. Wrong.

If the engine and transmission are not perfectly grounded, then the current when you start the engine will find creative ways to ground - like white smoke from the burning ebrake cable. Which can burn your hand too by the way.

He's right. Search for my thread titled: Disco Inferno.

Old 07-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I would call thew mechanic and have it towed back to him, then put a 4 Sale sign on it.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jfall
OH horse poo poo.

I opened the console and the ebrake cable was burnt.

Two questions:
1_ How difficult and or expensive is to replace the wire from the driver's head to the firewall.
2_ How difficult and or Expensive is to change the ebrake wire.

Quick Reply: Center console white smoke