Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center console white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfall
Your heated seats are NOT going to work in the summer. Too hot and the hi limit temp is reached - so the seats remain off.
Wait until all the oranges freeze in the winter then try the seats.
Does this also apply to the DI?

Old 06-20-2019, 07:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely right !!!

I was doing 80-90 on the hwy and noticed again for the 3rd, 4th time White smoke coming from the center console, I always thought the transmission was out of fluid and got super hot, so I did all my fluids, diff front & rear, and did the transmission with new filter, shifts smooth now with 202,000 miles, a week later this happens, ugh, I got on the forums and yup it was the ground on the negative cable not connected, the one I took off 5-6 months ago, I finally got the urge to remove the center console and inspected the wires, I noticed the plastic on the e-brake cable to be melted. Tested today, E-brake cable stays cool and no longer gets hot, vehicle no longer shuts off from ground either. Disco can last for ever, if maintained.

Originally Posted by jfall
OH horse poo poo.

You have a bad ground. The ground circuit is going thru your hand brake cable to ground and smoking the cable.

You need to get the braided ground wire from the driver's head to the firewall installed.

Who ever did the heads figured - oh I will leave that wire off. Who needs it anyway. Wrong.

The battery grounds to the chassis. So, does the engine.
If the engine and transmission are not perfectly grounded, then the current when you start the engine will find creative ways to ground - like white smoke from the burning ebrake cable. Which can burn your hand too by the way.